Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Strolling Around the Neighborhood (with a Note*)

Thursday, today
alone, on my own
I walked around
our neighborhood
of houses mostly
with two floors and lawns
houses with various colors
but with characters
appealing and welcoming houses
surrounded by trees
tall and small, and
trimmed shrubs and bushes
giving off oxygen
the fresh air I need
while walking alone
with my shorts and shirts
the sun hides behind
those clustered clouds
then scattered, again
the sun appears
smiling sweetly, this time
as I continued my strides
at my own pace
slow but sure to stroll
unmindful of undoubtful
speeding sedans and SUVs
and fellow residents
passing over me
with their pets
mostly leashed dogs
cute and not so
lovely-looking but
groomed and pleasing
nevertheless with character
like their owners
conscious (but suspicious, maybe?)
of others roaming around
like me, brown and bold
fearless and free
and faithful, I believe
in Jesus, my inspiration
my guide and refuge
in this life of loafing
trying to do His will
(I can only suppose so)
enjoying the present
the now, they say
as precious as time is
the moment to cherish
watching intently, with delight
and listening to the birds
on the trees, under the bushes
hopping on the manicured lawn
(near the Recreation Facility)
with their sweet songs
of life and love.

strolling around
the neighborhood
of houses and trees
of cars and trucks
of fellow residents
out there under the sun
under the azure sky
with birds and flowers
sweet and lovely
fresh ideas flow 
like the cold breeze
of June relieving
the impending heat
that is yet to come
this summer.

copyright 2011 by chris a. quilpa

*NOTE: Arriving, feeling well, in front of our house, I had the motivation to pull out some dandelions popping out on our lawn, then put them on the trash bin by the curbside ready to be emptied by the trash collector today. A while ago while walking around, I happened to see the truck going around collecting trash in other section of our community. Well, as soon as I opened the front door of our house, I went straight upstairs to our room. I took a quick shower right after that inspiring but sweaty one-hour walk. I was such in a hurry after shower. Why? I wanted to catch up with that breakfast at Hardee's. You know, their special breakfast platter and their signature cinnamon n raisin biscuits which I always look forward to every morning. They only serve that up to 11 A.M.

Well, it was already quarter to eleven when I left the house. On the way, by the 7 Eleven convenient store  on the right corner (the spot where Freny had a minor car accident years ago), I encountered traffic to a halt. I didn't panic but I was just conscious and concerned about the time. I may not be able to "enjoy" that breakfast or "brunch" at Hardee's if the time is up, I thought. What can I do? Nothing, nothing I could do but wait for the traffic to be cleared and the signal light to turn green. Lo and behold, as soon as the opportunity to move occurred, and my route cleared, I tell you, I sped up a little bit, but not that much, though. (Thankfully, no police officer was patrolling/roaming around. And, there you go, after making a left turn on the second stop light, then a right turn passing a railroad track, and another right turn, finally, I arrived at my destination. Hardee's here I am! Thanks to God, I found a shady parking spot for our (gas guzzler, lol!)2008 Toyota Sienna. Mind you, it was a minute or two, almost eleven when I entered one of the entrance-exit doors of Hardee's. Yey, I beat it! The eleventh hour, I mean!

To the female black lady cashier, I ordered a small cup of decaf coffee (with cream and sugar, of course), a copy of the daily The Virginian-Pilot ( I've been an avid reader and subscriber of this award-winning Hampton Roads newspaper for over a decade, but I stopped renewing my subscription because I observed that nobody in my household, except me, reads it!), six-pack of cinnamon n raisin biscuits, and that breakfast platter which I have a choice of ham, sausage, or strips of bacon (I always opt for the latter, as usual), and a small cup of water. There's my breakfast or "brunch."

Wow, that was great! What a beautiful and blessed Thursday today! I can't complain. I concur, each time I say that I have to live one day a time! Thanks to God for I'm still alive. Let me drink to that, with decaff or cold water!

Still at Hardee's after my "brunch", scribbling some lines (my draft, the one's you're reading right now), I heard my cell phone ringing. It's Freny on the line. I told her where I am/was. She said she's coming home. Well, our agreement was that she's driving to where I am/was. That's why I got stuck at Hardee's...Waiting, waiting, and continued waiting for Freny coming from her school (this is their last day, and tonight at seven is the Graduation Day for their students in high school), I notified one of the black lady cashiers to please keep an eye at my stuff on the table while I use the rest room. She said, "Ok, no problem." And for that I thanked her kindly.

Back to my table with my stuff, after using the rest room, I was running short of patience because there's no Freny yet within the four walls of the restaurant. (I may have waited for her for almost two hours!) Finally, I've decided to leave Hardee's and go to the library. And that's what I did. While driving on the way to the library, I phoned Freny (I suspect she dropped by at our house), told her that I was on my way to the public library. She was saying, "I'll be there in a couple of minutes." But I told her, "I'm on my way to the library" and if she decides to come over there, it's up to her. In ten minutes, I arrived at the library. This is a public library I frequently visit. While parking our van on one of the designated parking spots of the library, I happened to see unexpectedly a familiar face who was walking towards the parking lot.. As soon as our van was properly parked, I called out for Michelle, a fellow parishioner of St. Paul's. I got out of the van and walked towards her. As usual, we exchanged greetings. "Good to see you, Michelle," I said. "Good to see you, too," she answered smilingly. Then,  I was quick to mention her about the meeting-reception we, volunteer liturgical ministers, have had at Church of the Resurrection two days ago. She wasn't there. She said she's attending a class over there, something about the new changes of the Roman Missal. I forgot what day/s she said. Anyway, I said, "that's good," Well, I told her, "nice to see you." She answered, "me, too. Take care." And with that we said to each other, "see you later."

At the library, I transcribed on the computer what I've written at Hardee's. And, here, I've been...for a couple of hours finishing this up. Thanks for this day, Thursday, and for the opportunity afforded to me by the library. My today's story-blog is finished. Thanks to Jesus (my Guide and Inspiration, my True Friend, and my Saviour, always)!

No comments:

Post a Comment