Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Pain Management-@Home with Orthotrac Pneumatic Vest

Good day, everyone! Fernando, aka Cresencio or Chris is here again sharing with you his thoughts for today. Hope you're doing well.

We all live in/with pain, day to day. But how do we cope with it? How do we manage our pain, whatever type it is? Living in/with pain is no laughing matter. There's that constant struggle to just bear it and live with it. On the other hand, it can be that challenging, frustrating, disappointing, and/or devastating. But, if we can manage it in a way that it doesn't consume or interfere with our day to day living, that's great. Having a positive attitude, and a strong, unshaken Faith and hope, pain can be a source of joy and redemption.

What are the things that make me feel better and appreciate and love, and enjoy life, living in/with pain, day after day? Let me count the ways...One way, for me, to cope with or manage my pain (chronic lower back pain, DDD/DJD, fibromyalgia, for those of you who are new to my blog and still learning something more about me), is to do what makes me feel better (to rest@Home, no lifting/straining/stress, just do some movements, with Orthotrac pneumatic vest to stabilize my back problem, see the photos below). Likewise, I try to always concentrate on the positive side of life, with Faith and prayer. Yes, my dear folks and friends, I do pray every day, many at times, to alleviate my pain. Other things I do are this activity that I'm doing right now---blogging, writing and sharing with you my thoughts, talent/s, skills, knowledge, with music (mind you, as I write this post I've been listening to John Michael Talbot's playlist on YouTube. Thanks, John, for your gift of music. Thanks, YouTube, for being there...).

Photography is also my interest at this time. I'm still learning how to use my camera, especially this new Fuji that I bought lately from NEX. (I exchanged that new Canon digital camera I purchased 10.22.2013, because it didn't have the other stuff I need in order for me to upload photos to my laptop. Besides, it kept on showing on the LCD screen this: Media card error, or something...It would be nice to try Canon since I haven't used one before. But, what can I say, sorry!

Yes, I like to take pictures and share them with my Facebook friends/folks, and Google/Blogger via my blog. (I embed photos to my posts, at times, like what you're going to see below. Isn't obvious here..., my dear folks and friends, and accidental reader/s or visitors from different countries, i.e, European and Asian. Thanks for reading and watching, trying to learn something about me, btw. Do appreciate it.)

Music is also a relief for me, especially when I'm resting, writing, reading, or even preparing something for our lunch or dinner/supper. I know, I have to move around, in the house, for as long as I'm able and comfortable with. That's also an activity that helps me cope with or manage my pain. I learned about this long time ago, and I've been trying religiously to engage in it, even if it's a simple physical conditioning, i.e., walking around, outside, for 15-30 minutes, at my own pace, of course. Being out there ( in my backyard, around the neighborhood) under the sun, especially in the morning, is such a relief and worthwhile, most of the time. It's healthy, too.

You know, my dear folks and friends, this is a revelation: I try to avoid taking pain relievers or medications as much as possible. Putting into my system a lot of these synthetic chemicals is not an option for me, these days. Don't get me wrong. I've taken enough of these pain killer medications before, and they're just temporary relief, I do believe. Pain won't go away, once your body was invaded or has undergone several invasive procedures, especially on the lower back or lumbar spine area. I can tell you from my experience...those seven invasive procedures on my lower back/spine, seven consecutive months, in 2002 when I was still active in the US Navy, it's still a nightmare for me even up to these days when I get back spasms. Initially, I couldn't believe it, and accept it...that I'm a disabled person. This hurts me most, to be unable to do what I used and enjoyed to do...

Smile! I have already accepted my fate, with lots of meditation and prayer, etc. I thought, this is God's will for me---to retire early from work/gainful employment, unexpectedly, and just try to enjoy life by doing what makes me happy for the rest of my life, with my wife/family/folks/friends. So, to sum up what I'm trying to say here...there's still life amidst the lingering, chronic pain that we have, huh? But, of course, life goes on. And it's time to move on to another chapter in our life, as we look forward to our golden years...

Okay, here's sharing with you my pain management-@home...Thanks for keeping me company. Thanks for your precious time (hopefully, not wasted!).














 Photos (c) 2013 by Chris A. Quilpa

This is all for now. Thank you, folks and friends, for keeping me company. 'Til next time around. Take care and have a joyful, peaceful day, everyone! As always, may God bless US!-chris a. quilpa, 10.29.2013



2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your back pain struggles but I'm glad that you've turned to more positive methods of coping. You are such an inspiration! I understand your desire to stray away from pain killers. I know a lot of people really don't like those. I believe you mentioned having undergone 7 surgical procedures? Yikes. That's never fun. What kind of procedures were they? I've been looking at different surgical options for pain management in Oklahoma City for my carpal tunnel syndrome. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann, for having read my post and visited my blog. Do appreciate your time and comment. True, I try to stay away from (unnecessary) pain medications as much as possible. I don't want excess toxic/synthetic chemicals in my system that, at times, damaging my internal organs, and/or altering my moods, etc. Regarding those invasive procedures I've had in Pain Management Clinic, from referral by Orthopedic Dept. in the military hospital where I worked for 11 years and eventually retired, well, I had spinal injection initially, then ESI (epidural steroid injection) on my lower back, x4 consecutive months, followed by Discography, and finally IDET (Intradiscal Electrothermal Annulplasty), that is placing a special heating catheter into specific intervertebral discs of the spine and electrically heat the inside of the affected discs in an effort to decrease pain. All of the above procedures didn't work, in my case, and instead they further damaged my back and (sciatic) nerves, etc. That's why I retired (after 20 years of military service) with permanent disability. I'm sorry, but, with regards to your wrist problem or carpal tunnel syndrome, consult with your doctor. Wish you the best.Again, thanks.

      Delete