Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

On Summer Reading

For all of us in the U.S. and in North America, we're undoubtedly encountering or experiencing the summer heat, literally. Thanks to God that our centralized air conditioning (AC) unit in the house is functioning well. That adds a lot to the comfort of our home. (I do hope and pray that it continues to work for the duration of summer until early fall or autumn.) And, what a nice feeling to sit down on a quiet corner of the house, with a book or any reading material on hand! This brings me to the topic on summer reading, my friends.  By the way, I'd like to know what (book/s) are you reading this summer, if you won't mind?

It has been customary for me to have something to read while using the restroom at home. Just this morning, I happened to get hold of this PARADE magazine, a supplementary publication to Sunday's edition of The Virginian-Pilot or any designated daily newspaper that comes out Sundays in newsstands. In the front page/cover of PARADE, July 10, 2011 issue, it reads, in bold letter SUMMER READING! It shows a picture of a book with a pair of shades. "What to read on the beach, in the airport, or by the pool" That's what's printed on the front cover of the book, in upright position, with the sand with seashells and a towel on the background depicting the beach. Aha, that gave me the idea and here it is...writing about the topic from the above-mentioned magazine.

Being a neophyte then in the use of Facebook, I still recall/remember a quotation I shared with you, my FB friends, on my FB page wall/status in mid May this year. That quotation by a University of Oxford (England)-educated, English essayist, poet, and statesman Joseph Addison (1672-1719) reads, "Reading is to the mind, what exercise is to the body." It is such an inspiration to me, and I love it. The fact is, I try each day to practice it just as I do pray daily. The quotation is quite self-explanatory, you know. Just as our body needs physical (fitness) exercise, i.e., engaging in sports, walking, running, jogging, our mind needs exercise and nurturing, too. That means that we need to stimulate our brain to be able to use its full potential. Our brain has the capability to do so many things productively. And, reading is one way of exercising our brain power.

Three years ago, I had  a short article published in Suffolk News-Herald, July 24, 2008, entitled "The Joys of Summer Reading which I'm happy to share with you. Sit back, and relax as you peruse it, with hope that you'll be inspired to keep on reading, even for fun, like me. Here it is...

Have you ever thought of spending your summer reading, while enjoying (or trying to enjoy) your summer?

Summer reading is a wholesome, mental activity that can make your summer (vacation) more interesting, challenging and, quite frankly, stimulating to the brain or the mind.

Reading is fun, and it helps sharpen our mind and makes us more knowledgeable about current events, issues affecting us and our livelihood, stories that are inspiring and entertaining, and educational.

Let's indulge ourselves imagining, wondering, especially when we're reading a travelogue or an article about this or that place. While reading, say for example, a newspaper, like Suffolk News-Herald, The Virginian-Pilot, USA Today or The New York Times, we learn not only the latest news, and events, in our community or country but also gain insights and understanding into other people's lives, their thoughts and ideas. Likewise, when we're reading a biography, for example, we come to know how and when that person lived and what legacy or contribution/s s/he made. Let's read anything that helps exercise our mind to think, to analyze issues, to be critical and judgmental, to be active and proactive.

While reading an article by Michael Kelly of Albany Times Union, I found this 2008 Kids and Family Reading Report by Scholastic (a children's book publisher) alarming and shocking. It states that children are reading less and less for fun while many kids now are reading for fun on the Internet!

Kelly offered the following ways or tips to get our kids to read for fun: 1) Read to your children. 2) Praise your child for reading. 3) Find out what your kids are interested in, and help them find books that match up. 4) Factor reading time into your children's schedules. 5) Help your child find a book series he or she enjoys. 6) Encourage kids to read at a young age, when they're most enthusiastic about reading. 7) Set aside time yourself, and read in front of your children. 8) Urge your kid/s to start a book club with friends. 9) Stick them in the library. 10) Use a book list to help your child choose age-appropriate, interesting books.


(Even though I have two young adult children already, I still read, aloud, most of the time, especially when reading newspaper in our kitchen table. Somehow, I feel like I have to do this reading aloud activity not only for me but for others in my family, you know, especially my wife if she's around the kitchen preparing food. Even when I'm all alone in the house, I read the papers aloud. But, of course, not as loud as disturbing the neighbors or that creates a nuisance, you know what I mean.)

It's obvious what reading can do to/for us. In a split-second, it can change us and our whole perspective of life and things around us. It can motivate us to do positive things for others. It can illuminate our narrow viewpoint of life and, therefore, open our eyes to new horizons, new possibilities to improve our lot and our world. It can help transform us and our world.

You and I will be amazed at the power of reading, whether reading a book or via the Internet, or on Kindle. It will ultimately transform us into a well-informed and concerned citizens who have the power to change our lives for the better. Thanks, and keep on reading, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment