Search This Blog

Monday, July 4, 2011

Home Alone on Independence Day, Three Years Ago

Happy Fourth, everyone!

As the United States of America celebrates her Independence Day (from Britain), 235 years ago today, I remember vividly what happened to me on July 4th, three years ago...

My wife and our college-bound daughter were at our friend's house attending the Fourth of July party. My young adult son was picked up by one of his college friends to go to their friend's house in the Peninsula to watch fireworks. My sister-in-law, who flew all the way from Hawaii to attend my daughter's high school graduation in late May, and has been with us since, was picked up by our "comadre" and "compadre" from Chesapeake a day before the Fourth to spend a week with them. (That's what comadre and compadre said.) So that all members of the family household was out on the Fourth of July. Except me!

You bet, I was home alone on Independence Day, while everybody was out there with their family and friends celebrating July Fourth. I never anticipated/expected to be home alone, watching fellow Americans partying, picnicking, enjoying, and having fun outside. Via our television set, that is. What happened, you ask? Well, it's not that I wanted to be home alone.Nope, I'm not that antisocial. On the contrary, I consider myself a people person, you know. C'mon, folks, who wants to be home alone, left out when there's this Big Party nationwide, out there, where everybody is proud to share his/her freedom and liberty, and patriotism, and bountiful blessings (received and enjoyed) to everyone, strange or familiar, small or tall, rich or poor?

I didn't have a choice but to stay home alone. I know, it's not fun. Not cool, either. But, I have to be home alone, though. I have to stay home for a reason. Or a couple of reasons, maybe. But why, you ask? Dare or not to ask, I tell you anyway.

I've been sick before and after the holiday. Frankly speaking, I'm still in the recuperating mode/mood? No, please, I don't need your sympathy (or empathy?). It just happened that I got sick with this unseasonal, or unseasonable, flu syndrome and acute sinusitis infection. Thanks to God that I, along with my wife, went to the hospital two days before the Fourth and was given antibiotic and other medications. But, man, I tell you. It's no joke to be sick, or kinda bedridden, especially if it's summertime. I don't like it! I hate being sick, especially on a national holiday such as the Fourth of July. Who would dare miss that feeling/experience of camaraderie, watching the display of spectacular fireworks live with family and friends? I missed having fun, being out there under the morning sun, doing my routine, walking, stretching out, and doing my physical conditioning. I tell you, how I love to be outdoor, close to Nature, appreciating the beauty and wonder of God's creation. Be it on the way, in the parking lot, at the grocery store or chain store, I love to meet people from all walks of life, young and old, black or white, yellow or brown, talking with/to them and sharing with them my thoughts and ideas. That's just me. That's my nature, matter-of-fact. If you aren't convinced, why don't you ask my wife or my children to find out. They'll quick to tell you about me, you know. I'm not kidding nor trying to brag or boast. As I've been telling to others, what you see (in me), is what you get. Plain and simple.

Anyway, I don't regret having been ill or sick, or not feeling good/well before and after the Fourth. In fact, I take it as a blessing. I do believe that it was God's will. I really do. Truly, I didn't have ill feelings. On the other hand, I thanked God for the opportunity to be home alone, on the Fourth, resting and trying to regain strength and health. As we all know, our body is like a machine and, constantly, it needs maintenance, check up, and repair. Just as we need relaxation and fun and entertainment, we also need rest and long hours of wholesome sleep for our body to recover. Yes, we need time to replenish our energy, especially if we're constantly on the go always. (I remember those early summer breaks my family and I have had in June. We went to western part of Virginia, to Farmville, to Natural Bridge, to Charlottesville, and spent a couple of days/nights in those historical places of interests.We had a lot of fun, notwithstanding meeting new friends and learning something more about those places we visited. Probably, it's exhaustion or fatigue, or that smoke from that Great Dismal Swamp fire that lasted for over a week? I don't know. But what I do know is that my body and mind were telling me to slow down. Yes, I felt so tired after those road trips/travels, especially if I have chronic lower back problems and other medical conditions.)

Somehow, I came to the realization that I was not the only one, after all, who didn't go out with family and/or friends to enjoy/celebrate the Fourth of July. I thought of those who have been sick or ill, like me, in their homes, at the hospital, or in the battlefield. I prayed for them. Likewise, I thought of those who worked that day, holiday, rendering service to others and to our country, keeping us healthy and free, safe and well. Yes, I thought of those who are/have been working to keep America going and moving forward.I realized how blessed we all are, as one nation; how great we are a free nation, despite the insurmountable crises/problems we're facing, i.e., economic downturn, rising cost of fuel and food, housing slump/foreclosures, severe weather, fire, flood, etc.

I do believe that I was destined to be home alone on Independence Day. No pun intended, though. No, I didn't watch that Macaulay Caulkin's movie "Home Alone" nor Will Smith's "Independence Day." Anyhow, I celebrated the Fourth watching The Capitol Fourth on PBS and partly that Macy's 4th Of July Fireworks Spectacular on NBC, on our television set at home...alone. One thing worth-mentioning, though, was that I saw the manifestation of greatness of our freedom in all those performances. I did enjoy, in all humility and honesty, the holiday celebration despite my unpleasant condition, and the thunderstorm outside. (I wonder if the weather that day/night commiserated with me?)

There you go, folks, my detailed recollection of my Fourth of July "home alone" celebration, three years ago. This year, my family  and I are well, thanks to God. Yes, we're all together having a simple celebration or observance of Independence Day. A simple luncheon/dinner, (consisting of baked pork chop and beef steak, baked milkfish, pizza, and steamed rice, and "pinakbet" prepared by my wife Freny), with a short prayer of thanksgiving. And, surely, we'll watch the concert celebration, on our TV sets, when it's time for the display of fireworks in designated areas.That's all, folks. Again, Happy Fourth to all! May God bless us all, and May God bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment