Search This Blog

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fourth of July*

I was born on the Fourth of July
Each year I celebrate my Freedom,
My Independence and Liberty
Cherished and enjoyed by all
My people of different colors
From all corners of the world
Who desire to live with me,
To share with me their hopes,
Their sentiments and frustrations,
Their dreams and aspirations
To make our world a better place,
To let others live and be free,
United and liberated like me---
The United States of America!

With pride and power
Valor and vigilance
I celebrate my birthday
With fond memories of my past,
My history that I inherited
From my forebears and forefathers;
The history that I wrought
For all my generations to keep.

With spectacular fireworks all around
And parade of colors here and there
My Independence reigns everywhere
And I exult with glee and jubilation;
With open arms and loving heart
I welcome all who seek refuge,
Who long for peace and brotherhood
Offering each and everyone my Freedom,
Justice, Liberty, and Equality,
Power, Prosperity, and Security,
Pride, Beauty, and Democracy;
Wishing all a fair and equal share
Of all my blessings from Above!

Today is such a special day
To commemorate my Independence;
A day of unity and victory,
A day of remembering our men and women
Who have sacrificed their lives
From wars fought and won,
From crises overcame and resolved;
A day of sincere thanksgiving
To those who served and are serving me,
Protecting me and others' lives,
Keeping me strong and always ready
To watch and lead our world!

copyright 2011 by chris alibin quilpa

*Appeared in Sandpointer, a newsletter publication of then Naval Station Puget Sound, Seattle, WA, July 1991. The above poem was registered in The United States Copyright Office, The Library of Congress, Dec. 23, 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment