Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Philippine Experience

On this First (day) of May, I feel a little bit nostalgic. How come, you ask me? Well, this morning while surfing the 'Net, I came across a number of videos (on YouTube) about the Philippines. And, it's now summertime over there! I'm glad to know that lots of foreigners, or tourists, find The Land of My Birth interesting and fascinating. In their video testimonies, they seemed to like/love the place for varied reasons.
Back in early 80s, I remember we have had foreign students, especially from Thailand, at the University where my wife and I used to teach. I was wondering what prompted the Thai students, mostly in the graduate school, to come to study in the University. They have varied reasons, too, I'm sure. Anyway, I'm delighted that they have had this unique Philippine experience.

Nowadays, tourism is given much emphasis in the Philippines, as evidenced in some of the interesting and informative, and educational videos on YouTube. Though it is still a developing country, the Philippines has much to offer to tourists and students, and investors alike. Economic growth and development are everywhere over there now, and capitalism is very much alive and vibrant. I've learned and witnessed about these things on my last visit  there four years ago. Man, there was such an overwhelming progress seen everywhere, from the rural areas to Vigan City in the North to big cities such as Metro Manila! There's this proliferation of newly-constructed, European-inspired houses everywhere, from provinces to provinces. I was overwhelmed with pride and joy to see these beautiful houses and tall buildings! Well, it's undeniably booming economically over there. (How I wish to be back there again someday and reconnect with my other members of my family, friends, relatives, etc., while visiting other tourist attractions, savoring my favorite food, and enjoying the slower pace of life. I know, my vacation is long overdue! We've got to get away, folks!)   

I know, OFWs or Overseas Filipino Workers have played a pivotal or major part in this progress of living in the Philippines. With their remittances from their earnings or wages/salaries from working abroad, these OFWs were able to send their children to college, build or rebuild their houses, put up small business, etc. (The reality is that majority of them own their houses, with no more mortgages because they themselves financed the cost of building their house.) They sacrifice leaving their family behind just so they can give or provide them better future especially for their children. That's why the OFWs are considered "New Heroes" by the Philippine government because of their enormous economic contributions to the country. By the way, since today is a special holiday, Labor Day in the Philippines (and elsewhere in other countries, like Spain), I wish all OFWs around the globe all the best!

On the other hand, it's been a fact that the rate of literacy in the Philippines is higher comparable to other Southeast Asian countries. People there know the value of education. The parents do their best to provide a good, higher education for their children. They believe that education is the key to a successful future. FYI: English is very much spoken of by the majority of the population. In fact, it is one of two official languages and the medium of instruction in schools and universities, public and private. 

Working and living in the Philippines? There's this video about this topic and hopefully you'll be enlightened.

Well, friends, this is all for now. Until next time around. Take care and have a blessed First of May, everyone!-chris a. quilpa, 01May2012

P.S. I do hope you've enjoyed and learned something about the Philippines from the videos embedded with this blog post. No, definitely the videos are not mine. They're from YouTube. No copyright infringement intended. I thank YouTube and the uploaders of the videos used herewith. Thanks also to Google and Blogger.-caq


No comments:

Post a Comment