Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Surprising (But Scary) Find

This Wednesday morning, I took a stroll around the neighborhood. In spite of the fact that the sun didn't appear today (actually it's cloudy and the forecast today is that it's gonna rain later), I took the initiative to take a walk outside, even for, say, thirty minutes. I felt I needed to do a little physical conditioning, that's why.

Coming back home after almost thirty minutes of walking, I saw one of our friends in our neighborhood about to park his van on their driveway. I presumed he drove his granddaughter to her school. Walking towards him, I said "How are you, Friend!" He replied, "just fine. 'Bout you?" I answered, "doing well, so far." Then, as we continued with our conversation, he showed me his backyard with his new deck he and his brother built a week ago, he said. I was so impressed by the fine construction of it together with his new wooden fence around his backyard. His backyard has a couple of fruit trees. And they're bearing fruits already.  

While talking about his home improvement projects, his wife (who's also retired) showed up from their garage. She invited us to come in to their house. I thanked her, especially when she offered-served me a cup of tea. We, three, continued with our neighborly and friendly conversation as if we haven't seen for a while. Which is true. We rarely see each other since they retired. I couldn't help myself but admire their gorgeous house. So cozy, neat, and orderly. (I'm quite envious, to tell you the truth, guys!) Theirs is ever ready and welcoming!

I mentioned to Friend about a couple of stuff at home that maybe he can help me. He said he was willing to do, with his brother's help. His wife opined, "Chris, just buy the materials they need and they'll do it for you. As to labor cost, they're negotiable." They are not that difficult to deal with, she added as she phoned Friend's brother who lives closed to our rental house in neighboring city not too far from us.

We waited for his brother to show up as we continued with our conversation in their eat-in kitchen. In a few minutes, Friend's brod arrived. Friend introduced me to him and we shook hands and exchanged pleasantries. Since it was already drizzling outside, Friend, with his older brother, drove me to my house (instead of walking) so I can show them which need to be done or fixed in the house. We agreed together that they'll do it. Friend saw something on one of the cypress trees, while we were discussing about the things to be fixed and/or replaced. At first Friend thought it was  a black rubber thing embedded on the branches but on a closer look he gasped and uttered the word "SNAKE!" Certainly it's slowly moving up the tree. Yes, it's a black-grayish snake! And a long one, too, OMG! That was a big surprise for me. Never did I expect to see one in our area, specifically in one of our cypress trees that my wife recently pruned. It's so fortunate that she didn't see it otherwise she'd freak out. She's scared of snakes! Me, too.

Well, our first reaction? The three of us? Of course to kill it! First, Friend tried to stone in. It didn't work. He sprayed water with our hose so the snake comes out. Nothing happened. His brother asked me if we have a rake or a long piece of wood which we have. Still, the snake hid around the branches. I did try also with the rake. Finally, they thought of going to Friend's house to get something. Friend told me to keep watch and monitor it.

When the two brothers came back it stopped raining, for a while, Friend brought out a long pole with a sharp long serrated knife attached to the tip. Kinda a scythe. After two or three attempts, Friend slew it. Finally! With his brother assisting, he did it. The tail was still moving/wiggling a little bit when I tried to smash its head and its body. I remember, I went inside to get my camera and did take a couple of photos of the dead black snake that measured three feet! Yes, three feet, OMG! Had it not for Friend, I wouldn't know that there's snake hiding in that cypress tree. I wouldn't have known what to do, if I were alone by myself who saw it. Man, that's scary! I couldn't wait to tell it and show the photos to tell my wife when she arrives. Thanks to God, with the presence and help of Friend and his older brother, that snake is dead. It's now in the trash bin outside awaiting for the garbage truck collector. Indeed, what a surprising bur scary find we have had today!

My wife and my sister-in-law saw the photos and they were freaking out. Much more so when I showed them the actual dead black snake that's a part of the garbage in that trash bin outside by the curbside. O my God, that's scary! That's what they uttered in fear. I cautioned my wife not to be panicky. But she can't help it but to scream. But a controlled scream, though. Aw, yuck, she said.

Well, folks, this is all for now. Until next time around. Take care and have a nice day, everyone!-chris a. quilpa, 09May2012

No comments:

Post a Comment