Search This Blog

Saturday, August 6, 2011

On the Power of the Internet

Yesterday was another lazy Friday, for me. In the morning, I basically stayed in our room, while my wife and her sister, my sis-in-law were out for most of the day---visiting a university, visiting their fellow co-worker, who eventually treated them for lunch at a Chinese/Mongolian restaurant, per my wife. "That's good." That's all I can say. I have no problem with that. In fact, I highly encourage her to go with others for a break. She needs it to restore her sanity and sense of freedom.

Me? Ah, that's one thing with me. When I got to know an information that I find interesting and worth going the extra mile to find out more about it, then it becomes a wonderful opportunity and truly a fantastic learning experience for me. Having the desire and and curiosity to know more (because I have the tools or means to find out more about such bit of knowledge or information, via my access to the computer/laptop/internet), I feel good and blessed.

So, what is this latest Philippine entertainment news or information that brings me into a state of excitement? Well, it's about the reported return lately to our native land, the Philippines one of the best and finest singers-actors in the world, after being away for eight years. (Per news report, she's been living in Los Angeles, CA.) Having the monicker "Superstar" (the only one that fits that description, to my knowledge) is none other than the phenomenal Ms. Nora Aunor. Admittedly, she's one of a few of my favorite singers-actors when I was still a teen in the Philippines. Yes, I love listening to her songs, mostly ballads. That's why she's branded as a balladeer, one of a kind. She's got that "golden voice," as what people often say. Both her singing and acting careers became widely known, and successful, for a span of four decades, from the early 70s to the twenty-first century. She doesn't have to prove anything now for she has achieved awards, honors and accolades, not only in/for her native land but also worldwide. No doubt, she's a legend in Philippine cinema and entertainment, up to this time. Now, why did she decide to go back, when she's considered out of the limelight? There's this good historical movie offer that she can't pass up or refuse---to play the role of Maria Agoncillo, the second wife of General Emilio Aguinaldo, our first Philippine president. With her three month stay there in the Philippines, she's also slated to do a TV drama series to be directed by one of her former movie directors, Mario O'Hara. (Long-time Philippine entertainer and comedian German Moreno, Aunor's longtime loyal friend and confidant, welcomed the latter upon arrival at Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila, August 5. Eagerly awaiting for her arrival, too, were Aunor's die-hard fans who have been ever loyal and loving to their singer-movie idol. Then, Aunor held a press conference.)

Now, let me talk about the usefulness and accessibility of the computer/internet, in connection with the above information that I've learned and just revealed to all. Ah, the power of the internet, it's amazing! Yes, it continues to amaze me as I continue to navigate myself into exploring more about it. That's exactly what I'm driving at, my curiosity and enthusiasm at knowing/learning more about this and that is tremendous. But, I take one day at a time to whet my appetite for learning more and knowing more. Thanks to the internet. I'm excited to know more, to become more entertained and knowledgeable and informed, and better, useful and productive citizen of the world. I know, I can still make a difference to others.

With the internet, I was able to look for more information about Philippine president General Emilio Aguinaldo. While reading about Aguinaldo's biography, from Wikipedia, I happened to come across a 1981 study project by a US Army colonel about the United States Military Academy (USMA)'s Foreign Cadet Program (FCP) in connection with the Philippine Military Academy (PMA).  In addition to information that I didn't know before, I got the opportunity to listen to Aunor's songs via YouTube. It brings back to mind nostalgia, memories of those were the days while in the Philippines in the early 70s. And, this also reminds me of how old I am now. But, I haven't given up learning and gaining knowledge. With my accessibility now with the internet, I'll be more informed, and entertained, too.

This Saturday morning, at 0815, after eating a cup of breakfast cereal with organic milk, I decided not to go to my backyard to water our fruit trees. Instead, I indulged myself in watching TV, on ABC's Good Morning America (GMA), in our room, while also in the internet. Here are some of the Top Stories for the day, from the said TV network program, hosted by Dan Harris and Bianca (I forgot the surname, which begins with a capital G, and sounds Russian, to me. Pardon me, folks. That's my next assignment or research, okay? I promise to know it.). Ah, the headlines, here they are, not in order: 1) 38 troops, including at least 30 Americans, killed in a helicopter crashed in Eastern Afghanistan; It is one of the deadliest..., 2) S & P (Standard and Poor) downgrades US credit rating (from triple A to AA+, 3) One person dead in Haiti from tropical storm Emily, 4) Woman dies in NC (North Carolina) flood while running from police, 5) China evacuates more than 200,000 as it braces for a typhoon, 6) Video rentals top sales for the first time since 2000, 7) Hiroshima marks 66th anniversary of Atomic Bombing, 8) Grizzly bear mauls hiker in Glacier National Park but manages to walk away, 9) US State Dept urges Americans to leave Syria, 10) Texas Gov. Rick Perry to hold controversial prayer rally (Sunday) in Houston, TX. There was also this news about NFL players inducted into Hall of Fame and about the conviction by jury of 5 New Orleans police officers during that powerful storm Katrina that devastated New Orleans, and that news about the resumption of testimony in a polygamist case...Well, that's all for now. Thanks for your time in reading this post or blog entry. Until next time around. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment