Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

To Post or Not:: Breaking News on TV about VT

Thanks to God that I'm getting better! Summer colds begone!

At about 1058, this morning, while I was busy watching TV, on WAVY TV-10 in Portsmouth, VA (a local TV affiliate of NBC), there's this Breaking News about a Gunman reported on VT (Virginia Tech) campus in Blacksburg, VA, by children on summer camp there. Momentarily following that news broadcast was this brief police announcement at the campus of Virginia Tech. Then, there was this latest news: "VT Campus on Lockdown."

Immediately, I reached out my cellphone and sent a text message to my wife who has a tutorial job in her school. Here's the content of that message: "Here is d brkng news in WAVY TV-10. Gunman reported on VT campus in Blacksburg, VA." Afterwards, I thought of forwarding the message to my daughter in C-ville. Then, after a few minutes, I sent my wife again another text message. The text read, "Va Tech Campus on Lockdown b coz of gunman reported on VT campus by 3 children n camp." Again, I forwarded the same text message to my daughter.

I logged on to the laptop that I've been using (my son's who lent me since the middle of May this year). I thought of sharing the info (regarding that Breaking News from WAVY TV-10 this morning) in my Facebook page, on my wall status. As I was typing the Breaking News info on my wall on my Facebook page, my mind was wandering/wondering. Should I or should I not? I couldn't make up my mind. I finished typing the info and it took me minutes before I finally press Share. I previewed what I posted/shared on my wall. Facebook was getting weird---it was getting slower to get back to Home page or Profile page. I don't know if it was the uploading or loading of info, etc. I changed my mind after I've posted the info. I went back to my Profile and deleted my wall message via clicking Remove Post. That's what I finally decided. Yes, I removed what I just posted or shared on my Facebook wall page.
 
I continued watching TV. I switched channel, from WAVY TV channel 10 to WVEC TV 13 News in Norfolk, VA (a local TV affiliate of ABC News.) The TV program being shown was The View, a talk show co-hosted by Whoopi, Barbara, Joy, Elizabeth, and Sherr, all five talented, outspoken, and opinionated women. But after a while, I switched back to WAVY TV-10, to get an update of the breaking news. Same headlines but with a phone interview by one of WAVY TV women broadcasters-reporters with a Virginia Tech student. After a while, I switched channel again to ABC's The View until newstime at 12:00 o'clock noon.  No development of that breaking news. Still, VT Campus on Lockdown. And, police still looking for that reported gunman on campus by young campers at Va Tech.

I decided to stay on WVEC Channel 13 News because after the noontime news would be the soaps like All My Children, One Life To Live, and General Hospital. I don't know about you, but I sometimes watch these soaps, from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
 
My cell phone rang. It was my wife. I asked her if she has read my text message I sent her. She asked me if they found the gunman and I answered not yet. They're still searching and the campus is on lockdown, I added. She said that she and her sis, my sis-in-law, are on their way now to get/pick up our daughter in C-ville. I informed her that I forwarded the text messages to our daughter, too. "But she hasn't responded yet," I said. And, then I told her to be safe, to drive safely. "Luv ya," I said. "Love you, too," she said. 

Before the day is over today, I'd surely find out the latest about this breaking news from WAVY TV-10, and see what happens. I just hope and pray that no one was hurt and that everything will be alright. (I recalled what happened, four years ago, about Virginia Tech massacre in April 16th, 2007 that took the lives of 33 including the student gunman. I sighed, God please don't let it happen again!)

Well, at 1700 (5:00 o'clock PM), when it's time for news on TV, I learned that the VT campus lockdown was lifted, but the police there, as of this writing, are still continuing with their search for the reported gunman on VA Tech campus by three young female teens. A composite sketch of the reported gunman was shown on TV. What a breaking news it was! Whether the reported gunman is found or not, I would say that it's a good opportunity for Virginia Tech to test their latest emergency alert system, which the school did at 9:37 AM, per TV news.

And, finally, today is American President Barack Obama's 50th birthday, as mentioned by the media. To you, Mr. President, wishing you all the best on your birthday! May you have many more to come! May God bless you and your family! May God bless us all! And, May God bless America, and the whole world with Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment