Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

Insomnia Revisited

It's a few minutes past three, at dawn, today, and I couldn't sleep no more. I tried, though, but to no avail. I got up, feeling tired and wobbly, but I managed to slowly inch my way to the restroom in our room, to empty my bladder. (I don't want my wife to wake up for she's in her deep sleep.) Then, I went back to bed, trying to get back to sleep. But I couldn't. So, I prayed the holy rosary, silently or mentally, using my fingers for counting the decades and the Hail Marys. After praying, I attempted to get back to sleep. (My wife is in slumber, as I write this post. How I envy her!)

Ah, insomnia or sleeplessness revisited, an old problem of mine way back when I was in college in the Philippines! This has been one of my medical problems for years. Medications to aid me? I've taken them before but I don't remember their names. But, one of them I'm so familiar with it, because it's prescribed by one of my doctors. But, I just don't take it frequently because of fear of getting addicted, you know. In fact, as much as possible, I don't want to take drugs or medicine. I admit, I hate taking into my system any kind of drugs or medicine that's chemical or synthetic, unless it's necessary for my health and well-being. And that helps me in my quality of life.  

So, what do I do if I can't fall sleep or go back to sleep? Here I am, writing on this blog entry. That's how I utilize my time productively, I guess.

Why I can't fall asleep, after two or three hours of sleep? I don't know. Something bothering me? Not much, except a minor glitch in our financial status since summer 2011 started. Yes, money is tight, this time. But, my wife and I have been trying to manage paying our bills and other obligations, like pre-payment college tuition plan for our daughter, who'll be fourth year this Fall and graduating next year, Class of 2012. (It's good that we've built equity for our houses, the one we're living in, and the one that's a rental property.) And, we're hanging in there. I know, we're not the only one having this problem, especially this summer. I know for a fact that it's an ongoing problem for many, too, especially this trying times of downward economy. But, we're hanging in there. We're optimistic that we'll overcome this challenge in our family. Hopefully and prayerfully, we'll recover, once the school year starts. (My wife, by the way, has been a classroom teacher for over a decade, but she's a ten-month (a year) salaried employee in a public school in Hampton Roads.) Thanks to God that we have our caring family members, my siblings in other states, especially my Big Sister, and our friends around the area here, like the Rileys. And, yet, I have difficulty going back to sleep after I have slept for a couple of hours. I don't know, but I'm a light sleeper. That has been the case for years, since I got involved in that six-car accident way back in 1990, while in other state. But, I somehow try my best to manage my health well, despite the medical conditions I have had (as a result of that MVA or motor vehicle accident).

It's almost six in the morning and yet I don't have that feeling of sleepiness. Well, then, I have to continue using the 'net, and continue blogging, unless something comes up. Our house, meanwhile, is quiet, except for the outside sounds I hear, because our not-noise-proof windows that we have (They are as old as our house; they haven't been replaced yet since 1997! Aha, now, we're looking at another home project, for home improvement?)

Going back to my main topic, I guess, I just have to deal with it, if I can, without resorting to a sleep medication, like Ambien? No, I don't feel like taking this medicine at this time, even if I have one, unless I'm so desperate that it affects my health condition so much. No way! I have to think positive and my insomnia will go away, someday, perhaps. What do you think?

Now, the alarm-clock-radio in our room has sounded off---set to NPR (National Public Radio) News' Morning Edition. Okay, I've got to stop now, wake up my wife (who said last night that I've got to wake her up because she has to help administer SOL (Standards of Learning) test to her summer tutorial students  this morning. Well, folks, until next time around. And, as always, thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment