Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I Also Have Dreams

(NOTE: Observing today, Wednesday, 28 August 2013, the 50th anniversary of the protest March in Washington, DC, highlighting civil rights leader, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s iconic and historic "I Have a Dream" speech, I conceived this piece this morning while having brunch and at the same time listening to NPR (National Public Radio) @Tintin's apartment in D-ville, VA.)

I Also Have Dreams

I have had many good dreams
And one of them I've realized it---
With hard work and generous help from others,
With guts, diligence, persistence and perseverance---
I've acquired a good education that liberated me,
Education that freed me from illiteracy and mediocrity.

Refreshing our amazing memory---
I belonged then to a big family
Where none, that time, had a college degree
Except me who trailed the blaze and glory,
Determined to make it in the City
Where there are ongoing wars, here and there,
Wars of words, weapons, rights, ideologies...

I worked that dream to reality
Because I've known life to be that not easy
I went from school to school that had molded and shaped me,
Equipped and provided me with knowledge and skills aplenty.

I have had other dreams, you know
One of them is the American Dream
In due time, it's becoming a reality
As long as I am alive and well, and faith-full, and free.

Copyright 2013 by Chris A. Quilpa

No comments:

Post a Comment