Search This Blog

Friday, January 31, 2014

Thanks to our Caring Neighbors*

(Blogger's Note: The following was written and submitted to our city's award-winning newspaper, Suffolk News-Herald, www.suffolknewsherald.com, yesterday, 01.30.2014, after my neighbors came out to help us shovel out and clear our snow-covered driveway and front yard. Even if I have thanked them personally, I still feel it's appropriate for me to acknowledge, be appreciative to, and honor and praise them for their caring and selfless gesture. I know that words aren't enough to express my heartfelt gratitude to all of them, but, nevertheless, I have to do what I have to do to let them know how much I thank them for what they've done to me. Hence, I wrote the piece (e-mailed letter to the editor) to express my sincere thanks to our caring neighbors. Btw, I also took the opportunity to take a couple of photos and sent them to the above newspaper for possible publication.)

To the editor:

I would like to thank my caring neighbors and friends in North Suffolk, like Dr. Chris of Naval Medical Center Portsmouth (NMCP), Nino and his wife Doreen, Margaret and her husband, and Travis, who all braved the bitter cold and snow to help us clear our snow-covered driveway on Wednesday, after Tuesday night's (winter) storm brought us about eight inches of snow.

Without our knowledge, our neighbors came, unexpectedly and with their own snow shovels and other equipment, to our aid when my wife and sister-in-law were about to start plowing snow in our front yard.

As a retired U.S. Navy veteran suffering from years of debilitating chronic lower back pain, I couldn't help them do the work. But my neighbors pitched in to help, and then they moved to another neighbor's house in the cul-de-sac and cleared that driveway, too.

What a noble act and gesture of kindness and caring. Thank God for our family, friends and neighbors.

I would like to express my sincere gratitude to our neighbors for their caring, can-do attitude.

Their caring spirit is a manifestation that we, as a nation, can always do something to help our neighbors.

Extending a helping hand to our neighbors is something that goes beyond logic and instead represents the best of Christian and American traditions. We are a nation of caring, loving people. In times of good and bad, we are always ready to serve and assist and to celebrate our greatness as one human family. 

Again, from the bottom of my heart, I sincerely thank our good, caring neighbors. May God bless us and our families always!

Chris Quilpa
Suffolk

*Published in Suffolk News-Herald's Opinion page, Friday, January 31, 2014. Btw, SNH is "Suffolk's news and information source since 1873" and is published Tuesday through Sunday. For more information, visit their website at www.suffloknewsherald.com. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment