Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

About "Early" Retirement

"Welcome to the club!" That's what they say. I wonder what "club" were they talking about 'til later on when I got more exposure to fellow "baby boomers?" I couldn't believe it that I am now a "retiree." Am I that old and downtrodden already, huh? I don't hide my age and look. What you see in me is what you get! Plain and simple, folks. I may have changed a lot, physically, mentally, socially, but it's just me now---living the present moment well, to the best I can.

To retire doesn't mean to rest, for me. It means freedom, to me. Conditionally, I feel that I am free...since I retired from the Service six years ago.

Did I anticipate or expect "early" retirement? No, not at all. I have had plans, after twenty years of my US military service. One of them was to continue working, teaching in public school like my wife. Having classroom teaching experience (from the Philippines, 1977-1983) prior to serving in the US military, I have always been passionate about sharing what I have (knowledge, talent, skills, life experiences) to others who were eager and desirous to learn something from me. As a volunteer mentor-tutor, I have volunteered in various schools where I was deployed and got stationed at while still on active duty status. I did give my best shot, trying to make a difference in the world, just as I did in the military service---giving/providing optimal/quality comfort and care to all of our hospital's/clinic's patients, information dissemination to other healthcare givers and  beneficiaries about just anything relevant to military work and patient education, care and safety, and doing extra work above and beyond what's expected of me, a proactive team player.

But, as we all go through with life's ebbs and flow, performing our assigned tasks and responsibilities the best we can, without reservation, there are inevitable circumstances we meet/encounter beyond our control. We deal with them in/with various attitudes and approaches. At times, we don't know what to do, how to react appropriately, sensibly. We lose temporarily that sense of focus/direction/purpose in life in those moments, especially if our physical body was harmed or hurt, damaged or invaded. We feel all the different types of pain---tingling, excruciating, debilitating, numbing, to name a few---notwithstanding that long-lasting and chronic pain. We have a lot of questions left unanswered as to why such thing happened, how and why did it go wrong, despite our total submission of ourselves and complete reliance and dependence to those educated, certified professionals assigned to try to help us, to heal and take care of us. We're left devastated and depressed, and agitated, at times when the pain and suffering we have had become unbearable. We play the blame game. Sometimes, we think of things we never have thought about in life. What if..."Nothing matters at all, in life," we may utter in total dismay. We sulk and suck. But, then, we come to think that life goes on, that there's still the sun up there giving off light and warmth to our damaged, yet beautiful, wonderful Earth we live in.

Yes, I have dealt with all of the above situations. After years of analyzing and studying myself, with others around me, I come to manage my life the way I want it to be. Do I mind what others say or do? Not at all. I'm not affected by their rants or opinions. In fact, I respect and welcome them. Of course, I just have to sift or filter them to suit my taste. Actually, I learn a lot from them and those publicly-shared ideas. In the end, I come to realize that what matters most, what is important, to me, is the present moment.  This "living the present moment well" phenomenon or reality (which I've come across in 1980 while attending Genfest with the Focolare Movement in Rome, Italy) is what I've been trying to put into practice now. Nowadays, I let things go the way they are. No worry, no stress, no headache. Truly, it's not worth the effort trying to do/correct/change things that are beyond my sphere of influence. "Let it be, let it be..." as the Beatles song goes. Well, now you see how a previous knowledge becomes of good use, beneficial and influential to me?  

I may not be teaching now but I feel as if I've been doing it already, sharing my talent or skill and knowledge via this blog, writing simple poetry, article to everyone who wishes to know me more.

To rest is to relax. Yes, I do that, too. But to retire, especially if it's "early", is a whole new experience for me. It's a fact and a way of life, I think. And, I'm living and loving it, though I try to enjoy every moment of my "retirement." Yes, I live for now, for I feel free. But I continue searching for and knowing, and understanding the Truth that sets me free completely. That, I guess, is my ultimate goal and mission for the rest of my life. Agree or disagree with me, let's leave it like that. What can I say? Ciao! Be safe and have fun. And, I wish you all the best in life! Take care.-chris a. quilpa, 21 Dec 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment