Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2011

Out There, In the Open, Ideas Flow

Hello, out there, folks! Here's me sharing with you my random thoughts, ideas that came to mind while out there with my wife. Enjoy and have a pleasant day!

It's a good feeling, really (and so thankful I am) that I was able to have our 2008 Toyota Sienna its periodic maintenance and  professional cleaning, inside and out, already done at the local dealer where we originally bought it three years ago. As you know, folks, having been a retired US serviceman since 2005 (after 20 years of military service), I don't usually rise up from bed early, unless there's a compelling/valid and motivational reason for me to do so. But last week was an exception because of the above-mentioned case.
No, I wasn't pressured by my wife to have our van serviced and cleaned. (The fact is, she used to drive it daily to and from her school-work, but not anymore because I probably/finally have opened her eyes to the economic reality that we need to save gas =$s by not driving it to work. She now drives my old, but reliable and fuel-efficient, Toyota Avalon, five days a week.) I did it for myself, the initiative, I mean, to have it done before Christmas. It's just a simple gesture for Advent, for me, as I've been preparing myself internally/spiritually for His coming/arrival through my daily praying the Rosary/meditation and reading of The Good News/The Little Blue Book/Give Us This Day, and (active) participation in Sunday Mass/church services.

Now, here's a repeat performance, in my case, again. Yesterday, I had to wake/rise up early, at six in the morning, and be with her at work. Why? She took a half-day off from work for an "appointment." Although I slept good the night before, I believe, I have had that lazy feeling (of resentment), if you so describe it, the fact that my body was kinda signalling me to say "no, you don't want to rise up early. Just stay in bed and let the world turn as it is!" But, then, I had to rise up. I took a quick shower, even if the temp was in the upper 30s. Got dressed up casually after, and ready to go... out there, somewhere in other parts of the world. (By the way, I took my morning blood pressure pill , prior to going downstairs to rev/warm up the van.) I felt good, with her on the wheels.

Boy, it's so chilly and cold outside! But on the way to the city of Hampton, passing by the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge-Tunnel, we let the van's heater go on. And, with the Christmas carols played on the radio, it felt comfortable, being a passenger with chronic lower back pain problem. With delight, we sang along with the radio. Ah, the spirit of His coming is undeniably all over, in the airwaves, everywhere, as observed in houses and buildings, and stores/malls outside with fancy, elaborate Christmas decorations here and there.

Meanwhile, in the Science faculty room, I met one of my wife's female co-teacher (a newcomer there in school,she  said.) I also encountered Lorrie, my wife's long-time colleague in the department. She's white and her married name indicates that of Italian descent. We exchanged pleasantries, and then I took the time to personally acknowledged and thanked her for that usual, yearly Christmas card (with personal newsletter of hers) we received from her last week. Then, without time wasted, my wife and I headed to her classroom, with her teaching materials and laptop on hand, before the arrival of her students. A few minutes late, her students came in, one by one. After the morning's greetings, Pledge of Allegiance and announcement overboard by Mr. J, the school's principal, my wife briefly introduced me to her class. I smiled and said "Hello" and "Good Morning!" They seem to be respectful to a visitor like me, I thought.

Well, before the class started, I had the urge to use the Men's Restroom. Ooppsss, it's kinda untimely to use their restroom but what I can I do. I've got to do what is necessary for me, for my health, eh. Anyway, back to my wife's classroom, I really felt relieved, much better. I decided to sit quietly in a corner in her classroom, reading my Give Us This Day book (Daily Prayer for Today's Catholic), Advent-Christmas 2011 edition.). Unmindful of the teaching-learning evolution going on in her classroom, I just chilled out with my eyes and ears open to the book I was reading. But, you know what, I couldn't concentrate, what I was reading, or shall I say I had difficulty understanding what I was reading because of the "distraction" around me. Nevertheless, I had to force myself to understand the texts, and go along with the flow of life, remain calm and pleasant as much as I can be. Yes, that's exactly what I did! After all, I loaf a lot, trying to enjoy my life as a retiree.

Before I forget, for $6.50, I bought a box of KrispyKreme doughnut in happenstance from one of my wife's female high school students, named Anesha (who said she's doing fundraising with her group in school so they could go to New York on an educational field trip?) I could figure out my wife wasn't happy about me throwing out my $6.50, but I convinced her afterwards that such a gesture is helpful for a worthy cause for the students. Plus, I haven't taken a bite for a doughnut that's soft and sweet for a long time. I wished Anesha and her group good luck on their trip to NY!

It's planning time for her, after her first block class. That means that her classroom is vacant for the second block. That means that she does have time to prepare for her next class which is an hour and twenty minutes long, just like the first one? As for me, I took the opportunity to "taste" that doughnut. Yes, yummy! I offered her the box, but she said shed eat one later. I enjoyed another one. Boy, was I delighted and thankful for the moment! She, on the other hand, was busy getting some lesson materials from a drawer for her next students.

We went back to the Science faculty room to get ready...to go somewhere. Why? As I mentioned earlier, she took a half-day off because she has an "appointment."  Well, the truth of the matter is, we're going to Charlottesville to pick up our daughter in her dorm at UVA for Christmas break. She has just finished her Finals and she's ready to go home for the holidays!

After emptying our bladders, and bringing our stuff with us, we were ready to leave the school building. Walking through the hallway and passing by her classroom on the way out, we happened to see her subsitute (right where I was sitting quietly in that same spot in the corner of the classroom during her first block class), a female middle-aged teacher smiling at us. My wife approached her, told her she left a bottled water for her in the faculty room. Likewise, my wife also introduced me to her. From a distance, I smiled at her and said "Hi, how are you?" I didn't bother going near her anymore to shake hands with her, since we would be leaving the school-building momentarily. "Have a nice day!" that's what we said to her afterwards.

Well, it was past eleven in the morning when we headed for Charlottesville. As usual, she was the one on the wheel, especially if the trip involves two-three hours long. As I've mentioned in my previous published articles that I've written years ago, she loves driving. I do, too. But she does it more for she's got more experience way back in our native country, the Philippines. On the road, while listening to our CD on Christmas Songs, I ate my prepared lunch (a small portion of leftover boiled/steamed Thai rice, mild Italian sausage that I cooked a day ago, and vegetable salad with no salad dressing) while she ate doughnuts. She has one prepared lunch, too, but said she'd eat it later. The trip was smooth and regular. No traffic backlog, just perfect. And, the day beautiful and inspiring!

After eating, she suggested I have to text our daughter Tintin telling her we're out on our way there.  That's what I did. Then, my mind wandered while she was busy driving. Did I tell you how good the smell of our van was! Yes, I love it when it's clean and I don't smell it dusty inside. It's just plain pleasant feeling to me, even if the van is three years old now. I know, it's not like the smell of that brand-new vehicle that is capable of transporting people to wherever they want to go. But, I feel good sitting comfortably next to the driver in front who's experienced and safety-conscious. You bet, that's my loving wife (who drives me and everyone at home crazy?).

Out there, in the open, ideas flow as the title of this piece suggests. I wander and wonder when I'm out there seeing the world. Here's what I've scribbled on two small sheets of recycled pieces of paper, while she and I were on our way to pick up Tintin from her dorm at UVA (University of Virginia) where she's now fourth year in college. It's a simple poem which I titled "Out There, Ideas." I hope you like it.

Out There, Ideas

Out there
in the open
wild and unpredictable
events and happenings happen
planned and unexpected
while ideas flow like a stream
out there somewhere
constantly and uninterruptedly
flowing steadily...
as poets and writers capture them
in their poems, songs, stories, journals
for humanity and posterity
these ideas pregnant and meaningful
beautiful and wonderful
inspiring and inspirational
entertaining and educational
provocative and controversial
truly, they're out there
these ideas that inspire us
comfort and enlighten us
to seek further the Truth
that frees and liberates us
completely, unconditionally.

Yes, we're human
out of our beastly nature
because of ideas out there
in the open, up for grabs
for those/others who dare
to love and share life
and freedom to others.

Ideas---let them in
to transform us
and other worlds
out there.
-chris a. quilpa
15 Dec 2011

As expected, the three of us got home in Hampton Roads safely past seven last night, from Charlottesville. I'm glad and thankful we're home. I can't wait to see my son Andrew back home, too, for the holidays, next week. Thank you, Lord. And, thank you, Jesus! Until next time around, folks. Have a wonderful day and Happy Holidays to all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment