Search This Blog

Friday, February 1, 2013

First of February, with "Lumpia"

TGIF! (Thank God, It's Friday!) Yes, today is the First (Day/Friday) of February, ladies and gentlemen, my dear folks and friends. Good Friday to us all!

What comes to mind when we've embarked on the month of February? Aren't we excited when February is here? What's significant about February? Let's see what's to be remembered, observed, celebrated...

Today, as some, if not most, of us know marks the 10th year anniversary of that tragic Space Shuttle Columbia disaster that killed all the crew (seven astronauts) as they were returning or reentering Earth's atmosphere. The seven astronauts who perished along with the disintegration of the Columbia were Rick Husband, William McCool, David Brown, Laurel Clark, Michael Anderson, Kalpana Chawla, and Ilan Ramon who was an Israeli Air Force Colonel-fighter pilot and the first Israeli in space. (May they rest in peace. Amen.)

This Sunday, February 3rd, is the XLVII (47th) Super Bowl, the National Football League (NFL) championship game which will be played between San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Ravens in New Orleans, LA. I'm leaning towards the 49ers to win the game. How about you, folks?

February 13 is Ash Wednesday for Catholics and other Christians around the world.This day marks the start of Lenten Season.

Next, we have, of course, the anticipated and ever popular February 14, Love Day, otherwise known as Valentine's Day!  Then, on February 18th (Monday) is Presidents' Day in the US of A, a national holiday to honor past and present US presidents.

Well, well, well...This morning, after praying the Holy Rosary, I was already in my PT gear and about to go out when I found out it was chilly cold and windy outside, with at times cloudy and sunny. Yes, it's freezing cold again, back to the real winter weather! What can I say but to bundle up and keep myself warm. So then I finally settled to just walk around the house and did a little stretching.

After my late "cereal with milk" breakfast, I  prepared that thing that I have planned to do late yesterday afternoon---making "lumpia" or spring (vegetable/meat) roll. As you know, we have had those "lumpia" wrappers months ago in our fridge. It's good that they're there, readily available when we're ready to make it. It's just that we got lazy or didn't have initiative to make lumpia. (It's time-consuming, that's why. It's easier or much better to just go eat out at a Filipino/Chinese restaurant if we feel like eating "lumpia.") However, early evening yesterday, I already did cook the main ingredient which is the ground beef.) It didn't happen because my wife and I, along with my sis-in-law, visited a friend-patient in the hospital last night. My wife has already planned it days ago. But today, I'm determined to do/finish it.

And, yes, I did! Now, finally, it's done---my lumpia making/wrapping. The estimated count: less than fifty pieces of "lumpia." And I even fried some to taste. Crunchy and yummy, with ketchup or vinegar sauce! I saved four pieces for my wife and my sis-in-law.

"Lumpia," anyone? It's homemade, unlike the ones you have in a Filipino or Asian/Chinese restaurant. Yeah, making/wrapping "lumpia" takes time, a lot of patience, and skill, though. I'm glad I did it today for I haven't done it for months or years? Anyway, I did it just for fun and to keep me busy.

Below is a video (I came across from YouTube) about How to Make Lumpia. I don't own the video. I thank YouTube and the uploader of the video. No copyright infringement intended.
This is all for now, my dear folks and friends. Until next time around. Take care and have a wonderful day/weekend, everyone! Thanks, too. As always, I pray, "May God bless us all!"-chris a. quilpa, 01February2013








No comments:

Post a Comment