Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

Away from Home: A Long, Detailed Narrative

Good Monday, everyone! Glad and thankful that I, together with my wife, was able to get away from home, even for a few days. Glad and thankful that we're back home, again.

Allow me, if you will, to recollect and remember (again) where were we and what did we do, see, meet, while away from home. Our getting away started Thursday when we left Hampton Roads by land. That is, we took our van with us. My wife did the driving, most of the time. (If you were following my blog, or have read my previous blog posts, you know that I've mentioned her that she loves to drive, especially on long distance travel. The truth is, she did most of the driving when we left California in 1994 for the east coast.)

Thursday afternoon at about 2:30, we arrived at the campus of JMU (James Madison University), in Harrisonburg. My wife, along with fellow Chemistry teachers from various public high schools in the state, was  scheduled to attend/participate in a one-day Chemistry Demonstration Workshop on Friday, July 20. My wife said she got lucky to be included in the list of teacher-participants because one of the teachers who earlier registered for the workshop backed out.

Anxious to see the building where the workshop will take place, my wife parked our van in one of the open space parking lots in the campus. And we started walking away from the parking lot. As visitors, we roamed around the Biochemistry building and inquired from somebody we met at the university campus. (FYI: This is our second time to visit JMU. Our maiden visit there was in 2008, just driving around the campus when we had college visits for our college-bound daughter. From there we drove all the way Interstate highway 81 South down to Radford U. We spent the night in Christiansburg, and the following morning attended Sunday Mass at a Catholic church there near a public high school. I don't know, but I found that lush and mountainous area amazing and captivating, and quite suitable for healthy living. Though it's pastoral and idyllic, that place, to me, is beautifully landscaped by nature. I just loved it.)

Now, let me continue with my narration. It was a blessing, I would say, to have met and known a fellow countrymate, who happened, at that time, to be hanging around or waiting for someone at the hallway. We're so delighted that we have had the chance or opportunity to meet new friends. Eventually, we came to get to know him and then found out that that someone he was waiting for is his wife who's attending a pre-workshop orientation that time. Then, my wife finally joined the group. They entered one of the lab rooms. Meanwhile Ryan, our newly-found acquaintance/friend, and I patiently waited for our better-halves, in the hallway, while we busied or occupied ourselves engaging in a polite, lively, and nostalgic conversation. Nostalgic, because our conversation was focused on our native land, the country of our birth, the Philippines. From him I learned that he and his wife, Darlene, (who's pregnant and due to deliver their first baby in September) are both from the Visayan island, particularly Cebu. They're currently residing in Emporia where Darlene got employment as a Chemistry teacher in one of the public high schools there. On the other hand, I told him also about myself and my wife and family.

By the way, our (my wife and I) original plan was to lodge in one of the hotels outside, near JMU that Thursday night. But since we learned that there were enough rooms available  for other workshop participants, my wife and I decided to stay or hang around with our new friends in one of the student dorm buildings. We learned earlier that the young couple had already a room reservation there. They occupied room 103 while we in room 107. One thing, though, we shared the same bath and restroom. Speaking of privacy, of course, we have had. It just a matter of taking turns in using the bathroom.

Dinnertime came. We, all four, agreed to eat out at Wood Grill Buffet restaurant. (My wife and I are familiar with this restaurant for my family have eaten out at the same restaurant in C-ville. Food was great! And so was the service.) We truly had a good time, enjoying each other's company.

Back to the campus where we spent the night, we were awaken by a (false?) fire alarm in the building in the morning at about 6:30 or 7:00. Fortunately, my wife and I were already awake and that time, my wife was eating Ritz crackers (A Hint of Salt) for breakfast. It's good that we're prepared with our stuff to bring them back to our van. Immediately, we vacated our rooms, with our stuff with us. Outside, there were also people (I don't know if they're college students studying this summer) quite annoyed by the deafening alarm. The four of us walked our way, with our bags and stuff, to our van which was parked in a designated area. Then, we left the residential hall building for the workshop, not knowing exactly why the alarm in the building sounded off. At that time the fire department and a couple campus police cars arrived to the scene.

As soon as our spouses entered the Biochemistry building, for the Chemistry workshop, Ryan and I decided to have breakfast outside. We found this eatery that has free WiFi. There, we got connected and played with our respective laptop while enjoying our coffee, egg and bacon sandwich (for me), blueberry muffin (for him), and our fruits. We kinda lounged there for a while, with others also.

At about 12:30 p.m., Ryan and I drove back to the campus, parked on the same spot near the Science building, because we're thinking that our spouses would call us, inviting us for lunch in the university's dining hall. Waiting and waiting for their call, we got bored and felt uncomfortable sitting in our van outside because it was warm and humid. It was past 1:00 p.m. when we finally decided to go out and have lunch. Driving our van, I saw a Mexican restaurant, similar to the one at C-ville. I asked Ryan if he wanted to have lunch there. He didn't mind so there we had Mexican.  Since I couldn't finish my food, I saved half of it for my wife.

It was about 2:30 when we drove back to the campus. Ryan and I hang around in the Science building awaiting for our wives and the culmination of their workshop. While he was playing with his smart phone and/or Ipad, I was reading a copy of Madison publication whose cover is the outgoing or former president of JMU, Dr. Rose. The university's main library building was named after him, I believe.

Finally, while on the hallway, we saw our wives and their fellow teacher-Chemistry workshop participants coming down on the stairs from the second floor. Their young professor-presenter was figuring out where they're going to have a pictorial or sort of a photo session. We followed them, around forty of them, to a spot in the building where Ryan and I did take souvenir pictures of them with our own camera.

After saying those goodbyes among the participants, we, four, drove to the Student Center where we turned in the keys to our lodging room. FYI, my wife paid about $45 or $50 for the night we spent there in one of the student dorm rooms, in Chesapeake Hall.

Saying farewell or goodbye to our new friends was kind bitter-sweet. We hugged each other and told each other how much we enjoyed each other's company. We learned that they're driving to Richmond where they may spend the night with their friends there. My wife and I extended our invitation to visit us in Hampton Roads someday. They also did the same. When they asked us where we'd go next, if we're going back home after the workshop, we told them of our plan to visit our dear Fr. Jarek, our former parochial vicar, who's assigned to a new parish, St. Jude Catholic Church, near Radford. We told them our plan to spend a night or two there and attend the Sunday Mass. Before they left us, we reminded them to take good care of themselves, especially their precious little one who's due to arrive this September. I wish them all the best, a safe trip, and that we keep in touch with each other.

Almost 4:30 p.m. when we left JMU. As usual, my wife did the driving. We cruised I-81 South all the way down to Christiansburg. It was a smooth trip, thanks to God. We've just had a couple of stops on designated rest areas along the way. Nice, wonderful views on the way, the mountainous areas all green covered with trees, those farmlands with green pastures, the cows and rolled stack of hays on the fields, vast cornfields, and the Blue Ridge Mountain Prkwy, and the long and winding roads leading to different places of interests---these are the ones that have made our travel road trip awesome, amazing, and unforgettable! Plus the people whom we've met, come to know and befriended in the process.

As soon as we arrived at our destination, we looked for and found the church where Fr. Jarek is now the new pastor. No, we didn't call Fr. Jarek that we're visiting him. It's a surprise visit for him.


Now, since it was getting late in the afternoon/evening, we had to look for a place to spend the night. No, we didn't make any advanced hotel reservation because we thought that we could easily find a room available for us. On our first try at one of the hotels that  we'd like to spend the night, there was a room, only one room left that's available. It has a king-size bed with a jacuzzi. Why we declined to get it, after we've seen the room? It's a smoking room. Sorry, but I don't smoke. And neither was my wife, really.

Thanks to God. After a couple of hotel visits, we found one, not far from the Interstate highway, where we had a room available for us that Friday night. You know it's pretty reasonable, the cost of staying per night there, with two double beds, air-conditioned, with TV, small fridge, coffee maker, and free Internet access. There was also a complimentary breakfast. And it's a non-smoking room. Perfect for us, two.

Saturday morning, after a simple breakfast from the hotel (a bowl of cereal with milk and a chocolate -glazed doughnut, and a cup of orange juice), my wife and I went back to our room. There, while the TV was on and while trying to watch and/or listen to some songs on my laptop, via YouTube, I did write a blog post, a poem, about killings and violence around the world, specifically the recent movie theatre shooting in Aurora, Colorado yesterday, Friday, July 20th. (In my previous post, a simple poem, I mentioned that I don't pay much attention to what's going on in my world, specifically events that, to me, are sad and depressing. But I would be callous or insensitive if I were to completely ignore something that is tragic and devastating to human family where I belong.)

At that time, my wife kept on dragging me to go out and see what's out there around Christiansburg. I told her to wait for a couple of minutes while I was busy blogging. Afterwards, I took a quick shower. Then, we went out, dropped by a gas station and filled up our van's gasoline tank. As we roamed around, we saw this seafood restaurant and, hence, had lunch there. We saved some of our leftovers for the night. Then, we continued driving, cruising around the town. We came across and visited a local small museum, gave a couple of bucks as donation, and took souvenir photos while there. We asked the receptionist about direction and other places of interest in the area.

We passed by a local supermarket and decided to turn around, and bought some goodies, and other stuff that we planned to give to Fr. Jarek when we see him and his Mom tomorrow, Sunday, at St. Jude. After doing grocery, we went back to our hotel, put some stuff in the small ref/fridge, etc.  Night time came, we ate our leftover fried sea-food from lunch while watching TV.

Sunday morning, after shower and quick breakfast, we're set, so eager and excited, happy, and ready to go see Fr. Jarek, and his Mom, attend the Mass at St. Jude Catholic Church, and meet people. Prior to checking out at the hotel, we double-checked our stuff to make sure that we have everything, all our stuff, in our van, that we didn't leave anything behind.

In about ten minutes cruising the Interstate highway, we arrived at the church. There were three or four cars already parked on the parking lot beside the church. The time was 9:25 a.m. In front of the church, as we were entering it, we were welcomed/greeted by a Brother Knight (of Columbus). We both introduced ourselves to him, told him about our "surprise" visit to Fr. Jarek. Inside the church, by the left side of the altar, were choir members practicing/rehearsing for the Mass. My wife and I knelt and prayed, for a while, at the back pews. Then, we decided to go out of the church after since we have enough time to go around the church. We took photos of the church and surrounding areas. I didn't know that there's a lone house by the hill a few yards from the church. (The church is surrounded by trees and if you didn't see the marker by the roadside that there's church there, you'll never know at all.) We found out later that the house is the pastor's residence. So, therefore, that's where Fr. Jarek resides now, with his Mom. Truly so, while I was taking a picture of the back of the church, we saw, from a distance, Fr. Jarek and his Mom walking down towards the church. Yes, that's them, I said to my wife. Quickly, we walked back towards the entrance of the church.  And there, he is, Fr. Jarek! We warmly greeted and hugged each other, led us to the church where his Mom was kneeling and praying by the back pew or seat. At that time, another couple, like us, came to see him, too.

We sat all together while waiting for the Mass to start. That Brother Knight, who initially welcomed us to the church (his name is Arne and he's a grand knight of their council), asked us if we'd like to bring or do the offering of the gifts to the altar. Definitely yes and we did! Before I forget, before the Mass, one of the choir member-parishioners, asked the whole congregation if there are faithful visiting the church for the first time. She wants us to be acknowledged or recognized by standing up and that we mention our name. I spoke and told the congregation that we're parishioners of St. Paul's where Rev. Fr. Jarek used to be our parochial vicar. The wife of the other couple also spoke. From her, we learned that they're from St. May's where Fr. Jarek was their parochial vicar, too. (I was not sure whether they're parishioners of St. Mary's in Chesapeake or in downtown Suffolk. Later on after the Mass, I found out that they're parishioners of St. Mary's in downtown Suffolk.)

We sang, praised and prayed together with the rest of the congregation which, I observed, was mostly Caucasian, with the exception of a mom and his young teen son who are of Indian descent. I didn't see other colored people there, except us and the mom and son I just mentioned. Likewise, they use the Glory and Praise book (which we're familiar) for the church hymns. Attendance-wise, I noticed that the church was well-attended. Not completely full but almost full. In my estimation, churchgoers or parishioners that day was around two hundred  more or less. The atmosphere was, however, solemn but warm and pleasant. Personally, I felt a sense of belonging while there in the church. Fr. Jarek seemed to have that connection with all of us there. I hope and pray that he does an excellent, if not outstanding, job of spreading God's Word and ministering to the community, and doing his campus ministry in Radford. I pray for his success and that God showers him with all the blessings and graces he needs to accomplish his Diocesan goals. (Dear Lord, protect and watch over Fr. Jarek and his Mom, and all the parishioners of St. Jude and all students under his care. Guide him and lead him to a life full of faith, hope, love,charity and security, with his Mom. These I pray, through the intercession of Venerable Fr. McGivney, Blessed John Paul II, and finally Jesus Christ who lives and reigns with You, with the Holy Spirit, one God forever and ever. Amen.)

Well, here's the highlight of our visit to our dear Rev. Fr. Jarek. He and his Mom invited us to his home or residence which is on a hill surrounded by trees and other plants. Father gave us a tour of his residence, showed us all the rooms and the levels, including the basement, of his house. They offered us drinks and served us, initially, home-made lemonade, while his Mom started preparing something in the kitchen. Their kind and warm hospitality enabled us, their guests-friends, to feel at home, like an extended members of their family. We had a good time, engaging in a lively conversation with Kelly and his wife, while his Mom was so busy cooking two of her favorite recipes---Polish sausage stew and soup 9with two different kinds of sausages. At times, Fr. Jarek went to help his Mom in the kitchen, or started setting up the table with the utensils we're going to use. My wife also tried to help them set the table. Then, not long after, we're all sharing and savoring the food that his Mom cooked---Polish stew and soup, with two different dishes, of two different kinds of Polish sausages. Yummy, indeed! And, healthy and nutritious, too.

I tell you, Fr. Jarek is so down-to-earth Man of God. That's my honest observation about him. He's very likable and well-loved. That's what I see and feel. He exudes that charisma that makes you feel relax, at ease, when you're with him. Jolly and funny, at times, as reflected in his pleasant, friendly demeanor, he also delivers insightful homilies that you can relate to. (In my Thank You e-mail that I sent him this morning, I mentioned to him how I wish we have more like him in our community. May God bless him and his Mom always!)

About 2:30 p.m., we bade goodbye to Fr. Jarek and his Mom for we indicated to them that we're driving back to Hampton Roads, that afternoon, after being away from home for three days. We expressed our heartfelt gratitude for their kind and generous hospitality. We shook hands and hugged each other, again. We also did the same thing to Kelly and his wife for having known them that day. They, too, were leaving for Roanoke where they'd plan to visit one of their daughters.

It's a wonderful learning and life experience having such a good, interpersonal relationship with people, like Fr. Jarek and his loving Mom, whom we've come to get along with and appreciate, in the spirit of faith and love of God and Jesus Christ, brotherhood, charity, and solidarity. There's that feeling of contentment when people come together, share one another's culture and faith, and learn from one another, and ultimately understand each other. There's that spirit of peace and love and charity that permeates in the hearts of men and women of goodwill.  There's unity in diversity among humankind living in one world where we all share a common bond, and a common goal---to help and care for and love one another as one big human family.

After four to five hours on the road, my wife and I finally arrived in Hampton Roads again. Yes, sir, we're back home tired but contented, with fond memories of our three-day escapades or get away. Midsummer, after all, is not that boring but wonderful and refreshing, and uplifting, even if the weather is generally warm and muggy, and temperature is sizzling and sweltering, hot and humid, and hazy, most of the time.

Well, my friends, this is all for now. Until next time around. Thank you for your precious time. Hope and pray that you're having a good time, and a safe summer. Take care now. May God bless us all, always!-chris a. quilpa, 23July2012














  














No comments:

Post a Comment