Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

In Celebration of Fourth of July

"When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation..." and so the Declaration of Independence, adopted by the Continental Congress in Philadelphia, began!

July 4, 1776 was to become one of the most important days to all Americans. Why? It's because it meant Freedom! The new nation, that is United States of America---the Land of the Free World--- became free from the British reign.

Ever since that day, the annual holiday celebrations have occurred in every town and city/state, and other U.S. territories, in the United States---with parades of all kinds, including marching bands, soldiers, men and women of the Armed Forces, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, and veterans of previous wars. There have been floats, parties, picnics in the parks, concerts in open spaces and/or water/oceanfronts, with songs and speeches, lots of music and display of colors, the Stars and Stripes or Old Glory everywhere, in public buildings, cemeteries, and other public gatherings.

Independence Day is spent rejoicing in the freedom of our country. In many places, this special holiday surely ends with spectacular fireworks display in different parts of the country.

As we celebrate America's 236th Independence Day, let's offer our prayers and be thankful to God the Almighty for our men and women in the United States Armed Forces who have proudly served and fought to the end, and those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice---giving up their lives---so we may enjoy the freedom and independence we now cherish.

Folks, I'd like to re-post and share with you my poem Fourth of July which I've posted in my blog a year ago. (My poem was originally published in Sandpointer, newsletter of then Naval Station Puget Sound, Seattle, WA, in 1991, and subsequently in The Dry Dock, official publication of Naval Medical Center San Diego, CA, in 1994. Fourth of July was registered in the United States Copyright Office, the Library of Congress on Dec. 23, 1997.) Hope you like it. And, thank you for reading this blog post. Happy Fourth of July, everyone! May God bless us all! And God bless America!

Fourth of July

I was born on the Fourth of July
Each year, I celebrate my Freedom,
My Independence and Liberty
Cherished and enjoyed by all
My people of different colors
From all corners of the world,
who desire to live with me
To share with me their hopes,
Their sentiments and frustrations,
Their dreams and aspirations
To make our world a better place
To let others live and be free
United and liberated, like me.

With pride and power,
Valor and vigilance,
I celebrate my birthday
With fond memories of my past,
The history that I inherited
From my forebears and forefathers,
The history that I wrought
For all generations to keep...

With spectacular fireworks all around
And parade of colors everywhere
My Independence reigns everywhere
And I exult with glee and jubilation;
With open arms and loving heart
I welcome all who seek refuge,
Who long for peace and brotherhood...
Offering each and everyone my Freedom,
Justice, Liberty, and Democracy,
With pride, power, and prosperity
Beauty, equality, and security...
Wishing all a fair and equal share
Of all my blessings from Above!

The Fourth of July is a very special day
to commemorate my Independence,
A day of unity and victory,
A day of remembering our men and women
Who volunteered their future 
And sacrificed their precious lives
From wars fought and won,
From crises overcome and resolved... 
Yes, today is a day of thanksgiving
For those those who have served 
And are still serving and protecting me
And others' lives around the world,
Keeping me strong and always ready
To watch and lead our world! 
Copyright 2012 by Chris A. Quilpa



No comments:

Post a Comment