Search This Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Weekend Thoughts and Happenings

Good sunny Sunday, everyone! Hope and pray you're doing well, so far, as we continue to welcome, live out or embrace the offerings and surprises of Summer 2012. Let's hang in there and try our best to celebrate and enjoy life this summer with hope and Love.

Perhaps, to  some or most of us, we've watched on TV the opening ceremony of 2012 Summer Olympics in London last Friday night, July 27. I know that some of us are monitoring the games and progress of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. And that we're cheering, and praying, for our favorite athlete/s that s/he won one of the medals. Anyway, we wish all the participating athletes from around the world the best. In the spirit of sportsmanship, may they play their game fairly as they compete for the gold, silver, and bronze medals with their fellow Olympians. Personally, I pray for the safety of all---athletes, chaperons, coaches, celebrities and world leaders, and tourists, and residents--- in London as they continue to enjoy the Games and tourist spots and places of interest there. May the Almighty God bless them, and keep them all safe and sound always!

How's my weekend, you ask? Well, friends, I have to tell you that I'm doing okay, resting and relaxing at home while managing my intermittent back and hip pain. Basically I'm just chilling out, staying at home napping, snacking while reading or composing short, simple poems/narratives, blogging or watching movies, enjoying listening to and watching music, on YouTube, of those Top 10 Finalists of American Idol 2012, Season 11, as they continue touring and entertaining their fans around the country. I'd like to thank the uploaders of those videos from the AI concert tour they've attended. Thank you, guys, for sharing and letting us watch and enjoy your videos on YouTube. Do appreciate your resourcefulness and initiative. Thank you, YouTube and Google.

Friday, my wife and I visited the naval hospital where I used to work and eventually retired. No, we didn't go there to see a doctor but to follow up a referral from our doctor to the Dermatology Clinic. In other words, we went there to make an appointment to see a dermatologist, and to schedule a periodic mammogram for her. We visited the chapel. We thought there was a Friday Mass there but they don't. So we just prayed the rosary while there. We ended up having lunch there at the Galley. From the hospital, we drove our way to the NEX where I had a haircut. Three months ago, I had that boot camp haircut. Three months after, I decided to have that haircut again. I saw the same barber who did mine three months ago (in April). Imagine, me having a military haircut again! (My wife said I look old with this haircut! Really? I like that!)
 
Yesterday (Saturday), I stayed home almost all of time, trying to manage my chronic lower back pain and a headache. Call me a couch potato, if you will. That's true. Just resting and relaxing while watching TV on PBS, listening to music and/or watching videos on YouTube. And, snacking crisps or potato chips and fruits. I have had to snack that glutinous rice cakes, too, that my sis-in-law bought from her friend and co-worker. Likewise, I didn't go with my wife and our daughter, and my sis-in-law to our friends' (Mike and Myrna) house where they held a first birthday party for their granddaughter Emily. I just didn't feel well going with them. I just issued them a check to give for Baby Emily.

Today, a sunny Sunday, my sis-in-law, my wife, our daughter and I attended the Mass at our parish with our new parochial vicar, Rev. Fr. Chris H. as celebrant. My wife and I were not scheduled to do any ministerial work. But, we're always ready and available to be there with our fellow volunteer Extraordinary Ministers for Holy Communion if one or two didn't show up for whatever reason/s. Well, unexpectedly, I did join/help those scheduled EMHC during the Communion rite because one fellow volunteer who's supposed to do distribute the host (the consecrated Body of Christ) didn't show up. I don't or didn't mind at all. It (my volunteering as one of EMHC) is all for the love, service and glory of God our Almighty Father. I try to do share my talents, skills for as long as I'm able, even if I've been having sort of physical disability.

One thing that my wife and I did after the Mass was to share a number of our friends, fellow parishioners, our weekend gate-away experience, away from home. We told them about our surprised visit to Rev. Fr. Jarek, now the pastor at St. Jude Catholic Church in Christiansburg near the City of Radford where we also participated in the Mass there last Sunday. We shared with them the joy and excitement we all have had at Fr. Jarek's residence where we experienced his kind hospitality with his Mom. We were excited to show them some of our pictures with Rev. Fr. Jarek and his Mom, and a couple from Suffolk who also visited Fr. Jarek that Sunday.

So, where we did we go after today's Mass? Since it's almost lunch time, as always, after Mass, we decided to have lunch at the NEX/Commissary where we had Subway sandwiches and sweetened iced tea.My wife and I shared that foot-long steak sandwich. Yummy! (My thanks to my sis-in-law who paid for our lunch today. Thank you, Rose!) At the Commissary, we bought groceries and some goodies, or snack food, and fruits like bananas, watermelon and honey dew. 

Now, here I am. Back home, in our (Master's) bedroom, with my laptop listening to music while blogging. The TV in our room is also on from the Olympics coverage a while ago to PBS again.

Well, friends, this is all for now. Until next time around. Take care and Have a nice day, everyone! May God bless us all! Peace be with you all!-chris a. quilpa, 29July2012

No comments:

Post a Comment