Search This Blog

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday Mass and Luncheon with Family, and Music

This weekend, I'm glad and thankful that my young adult son came home for the weekend. The last time he was home was when we had his sister's college graduation party in May, this year.

Thank you, Lord! You made it possible for our family  to be together again and to be with you this Sunday. Yes, we're all together in your house of worship today. We're with you with other fellow parishioners during and after Mass. We're with you again with your Son, Jesus Christ, through our pastor, Rev. Fr. David. We listened to your Word, Dear God, and we listened to your Son's message via our pastor's homily. You told us to go in peace, make peace and spread your Word of Life and Hope with/to others who seem to be lost, abandoned, neglected, losing hope, and hapless, and helpless, and voiceless. Yes, your Beloved Son, urged us to go out, like his Twelve Apostles, to tell others out there that You are our Almighty Father, and that your Son, our Savior. You let me and my wife be of service to you today, during the administration or distribution of the Holy Communion. We looked up in the eyes to each parishioner we encountered and willing to receive the consecrated body of Jesus Christ. We prayed and praised and sang with the congregation today. We expressed our thanks to You for having our pastor with us, for allowing us to gather together and shared the Good News---that You and Jesus Christ always love us, no matter how sorry we are for our weaknesses and imperfections, that Jesus Christ, Your Beloved Son, died for us so we may have life and see light again. You inspired us that we can change for the better, and we can hope again, after all the bad things we've done to/for you through others. Yes, you let us know that you always love us, and forgive us, and give us hope and Life to continue seeking and understanding the intricacies and the mysteries of Your Existence. Thank you, Dear Almighty God, for today! And all the beauty and blessings of your goodness and generosity, and love.

After Mass, our whole family had luncheon at one of the buffet restaurants in Chesapeake. As always, we prayed before and after eating. That's to be expected, as usual. We had a good quality time, while savoring and enjoying our food. We had the time to be just together again, eating and sharing the food with/to other diners, like us. Again, I'm glad and thankful that my adult young son spent the weekend with us. He'll be back again to his work in DC this afternoon. Hopefully and prayerfully, he'll arrive there safely tonight. Of course, we miss him, as always. But, we have to let him go to do his work, to be out there where he tries his best to help and serve others, our brothers and sisters, sons and daughters who need help and inspiration, and enlightenment, and computer skills.

Back home, we're just chilling out, and trying to enjoy the present moment with the rest of the family. (As I finish writing this blog post, I'm fortunate to have the time to watch/listen to the PBS television.)

A while ago, I have been listening to a couple of American Idol 2012 finalists' songs via their CDs that I happened to purchase at Walmart last week. For my CD collection, I have with me the CDs of the following: Phillip Phillips, Jessica Sanchez, Hollie Cavanaugh, Skylar Laine, and the America Idol Season 11 Top 10 Highlights. I still need to buy Joshua Ledet's and others' in the Top Ten in another Walmart store since they don't have one in the store where I bought the CDs of those mentioned above. The truth is, this is my first time, in the history of AI that I bought CDs of those AI's singers.

I don't know about you but I do believe that music plays an important role in our quality of life. As for me, I need to listen to music to get entertained, feel good, enjoy and have fun in life. I may be right, or you agree with me, if/when I say that music can enhance the quality of life each person wants to have. Music can lift your spirit up when you're down. It can put you to relax and sleep productively. Like a cup of coffee, it can perk you up. It triggers you to be active and energetic. It can make your day so bright and gay, even if the weather outside is not perfect to your standard. It can make you laugh, when you feel blue and depressed. Yes, music is a stress-buster. And I believe that. It can make you feel young, too, even if you're in your retirement or golden age, literally. Why? Because music is a part of our life. Listening (or singing) actively to music changes our mood and we feel good/well. It helps change our outlook in life, and we become positive and more optimistic. Thus, our personality is transformed and manifested in our face such feeling of joy or happiness, and contentment.

Remember those lullabies that our mothers and/or fathers, or older sisters/brothers used to sing to us when we were babies? Those tra-la-la-la-las  we listened to when we're trying to get to sleep? Now, even if you're not musically-inclined, wanna join me in belting out a smash hit in the 80s or 90s? C'mon, even if you're monotone, or out of tune, you can always try. If Phillip Phillip, or Heejun Han, can sing, you and I can, too. Are you joking? I'm not kidding! Singing can be learned, like other skills, believe me. It's just a matter of practice, you know. Agree or disagree? Okay, let's close our mouth, seal our lips and try or start humming Do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do...and vice versa. If, at first you don't succeed, try again, and again...until you got it right. Now, let's listen to a song of our favorite singer/s and try to follow or copy exactly his/her way of singing. That's how those successful singers started before they became famous, I do believe. Most, if not all, of them copied the style of singing, even their voice, of their singing idol before they started to become original. Unless they have a very unusual, unique and distinct voice that no other has the same voice as theirs, per se. Singing skills can be developed, too. One way is by attending or having a formal vocal training, like some opera singers. Anyway, let's listen to music, a song that we're familiar with or have been listening for quite a time over the radio or in television. Then, we can try singing or repeating what has been sung. Or, let's do a sing-a-long. Just for fun, huh? Heard about karaoke? They have some videos on YouTube. Type karaoke and you'll be surprised to know some songs that we can practice singing, with lyrics, of course.

Well, I better sign off now, my friends, so I can listen to more music. I always go to YouTube for some of my favorite singers/artists. (Remember, I have had my previous blog posts featuring some of the singers I became familiar with, i.e., Nora Aunor, Charice Pempengco, The Lettermen, X-Factor winner Matt Cardle, David Muzio, Boyce Avenue, etc., while surfing the 'Net and exploring YouTube. Thanks, YouTube!)

Until next time around. Take care and have a wonderful day, everyone! May God bless us always!-chris a. quilpa, 15July2012




No comments:

Post a Comment