Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2012

A Relief from Summer Heat and Thanks to Chris B.

Hello, everyone! Good Monday to us all! How's life and summer treating you nowadays? Having fun and vacation, somewhere else, miles away from home, even for a while, huh? That's great!  Keep (your) cool, people! And, try to be happy and enjoy the moment for it's fleeting, okay? Life is too short to be worrying, you know. Smile and laugh a lot while you can. Thanks to God, we're alive and well!

Good news for us here in Hampton Roads. Per our local meteorologists, we're anticipating cold fronts on the way! That means we're getting a bit of relief from this sweltering heat that has been giving discomfort or bothering most of us for the past days. Yes, Sir, compared to past days which we have had high temp in the upper 90s to just over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, now we're beginning to have high temperature just in the mid to upper 80s (degrees Fahrenheit). For some of us, I guess, that is bearable enough, especially when we're out doing work outside, but covered, or enjoying summer while in the beach, on the shore, or in the park with family and/or friends.

Word of caution, though: We're still vulnerable to heat-related injuries/illness, for as long as we're outside, under the sun, for a prolong period of time. (I know, I still have some darker brown spots on my chest area where it has been exposed to sun while visiting a couple of beaches in Hampton Roads before, five to ten years ago. Back then, I just love to wear shorts and sleeveless shirts or top tanks while out there strolling down the seashore, enjoying the calm, warm waters of Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. I know, I should have applied some kind of sun tan lotion on those parts of my body, i.e., shoulders, chest, back,  exposed to the sun. I should have known better. Now, I have to suffer the consequences of my negligence? I only wish I don't have skin cancer or melanoma, which I don't think so.) That's why, during the season of summer, we have to protect ourselves from too much, or prolong, sun/heat exposure. Safety and prevention are the keys to having fun or enjoyment this summer.

Still, for some of us who are vacationing somewhere, under the penetrating heat of the sun, we need to protect our skin. We need to have head and shoulder covers, as much as possible. We need to dress comfortably, wearing loose, light clothing preferably made of cotton. And, we nee to drink water enough that we don't get dehydrated.

Well, thanks to God, that our new air conditioning unit is doing great and giving us so much comfort this summer. I thank God for having known Chris B., a good and wonderful friend, who has been doing/fixing our AC each time we have a problem. This time, we had no choice or alternative but to heed what he has been suggesting us for a while. Though it involved a substantial amount of money from us for a new AC unit, he ultimately replaced our original AC unit which is as old as our house that was built in 1997. Before, he used to add CFC or Chlorofluorocarbon, or commonly named "Freon" in that unit outside, by our backyard, or replace the worn-out fan motor in that one in our attic. Those work he did can last for another summer. Until finally, it's really that time to replace the whole AC system unit for efficiency. Again, thanks, my friend Chris B. for all that you've done for me and my family. God bless you and your family!

Well, what more can I say but Good Monday to you all! Hope and pray that you're healthy and all doing well. Take care and Have a wonderful, fun-filled, but safe and joyful, summer, everyone! Until next time around. God bless us all!-chris a. quilpa, 09July2012


No comments:

Post a Comment