Search This Blog

Sunday, July 8, 2012

On Our First Sunday Mass with Fr. Chris, Lunch Buffet at "Kainan"

As heatwave continues to reign over the eastern part of the United States, and elsewhere, we have no recourse but to seek relief in cool, air-conditioned, places like staying at home, going to the library, mall, in our respective church where we attend/participate liturgical services. That's what my wife, sis-in-law, daughter, and I did this morning.

We did attend the 9:30 Sunday Mass, with our new parochial vicar, Fr. Chris, officiating. FYI, he's just been ordained a Catholic priest lately. (I miss Rev. Fr. Jarek! Hope and pray he's doing very well in Radford.) Now, though my wife and I are not scheduled today to volunteer as Extraordinary Ministers for Holy Communion (EMHC), I was asked, prior to the start of the Mass, by Peter, a fellow parishioner of St. Paul's, if I'm available to do the Host D for him, that is, giving/administering the Holy Eucharist or the "Body" of Christ to our members of our church's choir. He's the one scheduled for today but said that he's doing the collection (of gifts from parishioners). But, of course, I'm always ready and available for Jesus. I didn't have any problem with that so I said "yes" to him.  And that's what I did. I had to wait, though, for the choir (to finish their communion song) before administering each member the "Body of Christ." I always feel so holy, I thinks, and honored, and fortunate to do this activity for Jesus, through others. Thank you, Lord, and thank you, Jesus, for the opportunity of serving you, even in small way.

After Mass, my family had the chance to handshake and "welcome" Fr. Chris as our new parochial vicar, as other parishioners did the same. He seemed cool and reserved, though. First impression of him, while he was delivering the homily or sermon: He did it, not on the pulpit, but in front of us, close to the pews. He probably wanted to be close to us, to connect with us. He's likened to a teacher or a lecturer walking side by side. Like others, I have to move my head slowly from left to right, following him talking to us, discussing or explaining today's Gospel readings (from St. Mark 6: 1-6) which is summed up this way: Jesus began to teach in his home synagogue. The people, knowing Mary and Joseph, came to understand the wisdom Jesus shows and Jesus tells them: "No prophet is without honor except in his native place."

Outside, air was dry and hot and humid. No doubt, we can feel the heat already. As we gather, or shall I say congregate, in small groups, at the facade of St. Paul's Catholic Church, as we usually do, after Mass, we had a short conversation with our friends Mike and Myrna who brought their soon-to-be one-year old granddaughter Emily to the Mass. Like me, I suppose they're enjoying their retirement. On the other hand, other parishioners were still there, too, engaging in friendly chat with their friends, too. Then, we bid each other goodbye.

Where did we head to, after Mass? We decided to have lunch in a Filipino restaurant in Virginia Beach. But first, we drove to a gas station where we fill up the tank of our "oldie but goodie" Avalon XL.

Arriving at the "Kainan" Restaurant, we're delighted to see a busy, vibrant eatery with lots of diners already having luncheon. It was like a feast! Yes, we had a lunch buffet, courtesy of my sis-in-law. Lots of food, eat all you can, that is. (I didn't know that they serve lunch buffet there on Sundays, since that was our first time to have it there. But we have been there before, like the past Christmas, where we ordered or bought rice cakes and other dessert goodies by the trays.) While almost done eating (my dessert), there was an abrupt power outage there. OMG, despite the fact that we're full, we're getting restless and uncomfortable. We had to finish our dessert quick so we could leave the place that's becoming warm around. But then came back the power. Thanks to God!

What's next for us? Well, we drove back North, close to our place. We stopped by at a Dollar Tree store to buy Sunday's copy of The Virginian-Pilot. We also bought some books.

Then, drove back home where it's comfy and cold. Home again, this time. Thanks to God. We're good, and cool, I guess.

Until next time around, folks. Thank you for your time. Here's wishing you a fun-filled, but safe, summer! Take care and enjoy the season. Keep, or maintain, your cool, everyone!-chris a. quilpa, 08July2012.



No comments:

Post a Comment