Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2012

Out of Curiosity

Good Friday, everyone! TGFI, yehey! Thank God. We're alive and doing well! Thank you, Jesus! Aren't we  all looking forward to a wonderful weekend, guys? I bet we are. Anyway, I do hope, and pray, that you're in the pink of health. I'm good, as far as I'm concerned. Thank you.

Yes, I, along with my wife Freny, already prayed the rosary this early morning. Thank you, dear and loving God. Thank you, Jesus! Mother Mary, pray for us, always!

This morning, after having breakfast in the hotel, I posted this info on my Facebook page for our FB friends that today, Friday is my "2nd day at the VAST 2012 PDI, with Freny, in [the historic(al), Colonial] Williamsburg. And, loving and enjoying it!" After two to five minutes, a couple of our friends and relatives responded immediately by liking it (the message). And I did acknowledge and thank them, too.

Now, while I'm in the lobby at Willimsburg Hotel, writing this blog post,  Freny is busy attending those sessions she chose to participate. Usually, one session lasts for an hour. And that three or four sessions are held simultaneously in different rooms. For a larger audience, session is held in an auditorium or a spacious hall. especially if the key speaker/presenter is well-known educator-professor or a distinguish scientist. Observably, we see these "casually or semi-formally-dressed" participants everywhere in the hotel's first floor socializing, while sessions are going on. Others (who were booked in other hotels somewhere here in Williamsburg) have just come in to the conference/convention hotel by groups of two to four or eight, from different school systems across the Commonwealth. Almost all of them have their conference bags and tags on around their neck, signifying or indicating that they're participants to this VAST (Virginia Association of Science Teachers) 2012 PDI (Professional Development Institute). Some of them were carrying each a cup of coffee, maybe. Nope, they're not automatons. Or robots. They're engaging, doing blah, blah, blahs..(You know what I mean!) as they enter the main entrance to the hotel. Shhh...they're actively babbling. They're as loquacious and very much opinionated as I am, I think so! (Oppppsss...just kidding!) 

Yeah, you tell me, we all love to talk, at times, even at the same time! OMG! No one wants to listen, people! Yeah, that's right. Each of us can't wait to say what we want to say ASAP, for Pete's sake! There are exceptions, of course. There are a few, who probably have just woke up and are not "perked up" or "caffeinated" yet! I guess. But I don't want to judge them, for I know that if you're a teacher-educator, you're always talkative. You have to be. That's one of the requirements to be a teacher---to be effectively communicative orally or verbally, most especially. Fluency in (speaking) the instructional language is a must! Especially in the field of education, I believe. That's definitely the most important requirement to be able to teach a multi-diverse population. (Flashback: When I was younger, back in the Philippines, I was bashful, shy, that is. But I overcame my shyness and developed my confidence when I was in or got into college, and into the teaching profession. Honestly, I became bubbly verbose. But, I talk with (common) sense, don't I? With interaction from people of different cultures, and constant practice, and developed speaking skills, I gained confidence and maturity. Much more so when I joined in the U.S. Navy and eventually retired. So, my point is, our speaking skills can be learned, enhanced and developed for good use in our community or structured society.But, of course, we learned that communication involves the message, the sender or messenger and the speaker or responder, the processes of listening and speaking. It also entails the non-verbal processes, i.e, a smile, a nod, a gesture, those signs and gestures learned in public speaking and debate, you know. In a competitive, free and liberated world we live in, we can't be playing silent or dumb-mute, especially here in The Land of the Free World where almost everyone loves to talk, and only some prefer to listen.(One indication is the innumerable talk shows in the TV land and countless DJs in the airwaves! OMG, it's unbelievable!) But, of course, with a few exception/s. Those who have speech defect or disability by birth, and/or due to accidents. I've encountered one or two of them while doing substitute teaching in one of the public elementary schools in a neighboring city many years ago. (At that time, I was questioning myself about the effectiveness of teaching (on my part)-learning processes in the case of this "handicapped" child, or can I say, "mentally-challenged" kid, a child of God, nevertheless? Well, at that time, it's good that the kid had an adult assistant and personal caregiver.) This is one exception to the rule, as far as speaking or language proficiency in teaching is concerned. 

Well, moving on...What came to mind this morning, since I'm surrounded by science educators around the hotel? Curiosity. Yes, the word "curiosity" which is so important and very much relevant to today's event at the conference hotel we're in. Haven't I told you that curiosity has led me to other places, like Hawaii, Hongkong, Singapore, Florence, Rome, Italy, Guam, etc. Yes, curiosity has led me to where I am now.

As far I know, I've always been a curious child. Perceptive, and presumptuous, too. My curiosity has led me to places I never imagined and dreamed of. I'm sure you've heard of this cliche or quote: Curiosity kills the cat? I don't even know what that means, figuratively. But, as I continue to live and try to enjoy life, with not-so-perfect health condition, I become more curious, anxious and aware of everyone, everything around me, sideways, both ways, up above and below, here and there, everywhere...

BTW, according to Wikipedia (a very much available/accessible reference in the Internet, notwithstanding other (more reliable?) sources out there, I think and am aware), curiosity is from the Latin curiosus, "careful, diligent, curious," akin to cura, care." It is a quality related to inquisitive thinking such as exploration, investigation, and learning, evident by observation in human and many animal species. It can be an emotion of curiosity itself that "represents a thirst for knowledge, and it's a major driving force behind scientific research and other disciplines of human study."

I am as curious as anybody else in the entire universe. Don't get me wrong, my dear folks and friends. I know what you're thinking. Why didn't you become a scientist, a doctor, maybe? Well, we all have interest, passions, vocations, or calling, in life. As we continue to encounter changes and challenges, we become more curious in and about life to the point that we change (and continue to do so) and try to adapt to changes we'made. In short, our career, profession, vocation is not fixed or permanent for as long as we live. Nothing is permanent, except God, I believe. Our calling, therefore, is a product of so many considerations. In my observation, our being, mood of doing things, thinking, all of us...we're all influenced by so many factors, out of curiosity, in life. You and I can attest to this notion, I think so.
 (Note: While engrossed in my blogging, I got temporarily halted or interrupted when  one of our friends and Freny's former co-teachers passed by the lobby, on her way out of the hotel, and saw me. She said, "Hi." I reciprocated, saying it with a smile, "Hi, Venecia!" She mentioned she talked to my wife a while ago in one of the sessions they both were attending. "That's good," I quipped. Freny and I have been to other professional conferences/workshops  before, in other cities, with Venecia and a couple of their colleagues in the Science Department in their school. She's always that easy-going lady and jolly, you know. In fact, as I remember, she's originally from D-ville where my daughter Tintin currently works.)

My dear folks and friends, I better sign off now. Inquisitive we are, I have to do a little roaming around the hotel. You'll never know what to encounter, huh. Anyway, talk or see you later, people of goodwill. Until next time around. Take care and have a wonderful weekend, everyone! As always, may God bless us all!-chris a. quilpa, 09Nov2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment