Search This Blog

Monday, November 12, 2012

Veterans Day Deserves More Recognition

Good Monday, everyone! For those observing it and having a day off today, Monday, Happy Veterans Day! And for those working today, like my wife Freny, Happy (Working) Veterans Day, everyone!

Yesterday, November 11, was the 94th anniversary of the culmination of World War 1. At the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month or 11:00 am on November 11, 1918, WW I formally ended with signing of the armistice between the Allied troops and Germany. Thus, on November 11, each year, we commemorate or celebrate Armistice Day, now commonly known as Veterans Day to honor all who have served in the Armed Forces of their country, dead or still living, active or retired. Compared to Memorial Day (which is an annual federal holiday in the U.S., observed nationwide on the last Monday of May to honor all of our deceased or fallen Service men and women), Veterans Day became an official legal holiday to honor all U.S. veterans. Other countries observe celebrations such as Remembrance Day, Armistice Day, Remembrance Sunday to commemorate the end of WW I.

Since November 11, Veterans Day, falls on a weekend or Sunday, observance of the federal holiday is held on Monday, today. That's why there are Veterans Day closings like banks and other financial institutions, public libraries, courts and municipal, and state offices, including post offices and DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), public and schools). But not all of them, especially schools and colleges, universities. There are schools in Hampton Roads area that are open today. (My wife's school is open. That's why she has classes today.) I'm very sure others in other states have, too. Other recreational centers are closed, too. Likewise, there are no garbage collection today, for those scheduled trash pick up on Mondays.

The following short article of mine (for Letter to the Editor) appeared in the the Opinion page of Suffolk News-Herald on Tuesday, November 13, 2007. It's just a wishful thought about Veterans Day's federal holiday's observance. You may or may not agree with me. But, as I have said, this is my personal opinion, not that I am a veteran myself. Thank you...

"Veterans Day should be observed and celebrated with as much respect and fanfare as July 4th. There should be no school or classes in colleges and universities so that we all can pay tribute to our veterans by attending/participating in parades and ceremonies, visiting our beloved fallen heroes in veterans' cemeteries, and remembering the good old days with our loved ones.

I do believe that, as a nation, we are strong and powerful because of the services and sacrifices made by our veterans, our men and women who have served, and are still serving in the Armed Forces of the United States. i do know that on Veterans Day, there are closings like post offices, public libraries, courts, banks, garbage collections, and some schools are closed. other school systems in Hampton Roads and elsewhere are open. Why? I don't know.

But, as I've said, I wish that Veterans day will be nationally/federally observed, like Fourth of July, because of its impact and significance to our U.S. history and world history in general. 

(My poem To Our Fallen Heroes, followed next. It's the same poem I posted on my blog yesterday. If you feel like reading it, go to my blog post yesterday. Thank you.)

Well, my dear folks and friends, this is all for now. Thank you for your time. Until next time around. Take care and have a great day, everyone! As always, I pray, "May God bless us all!"-chris a. quilpa, 12Nov2012





No comments:

Post a Comment