Search This Blog

Friday, December 14, 2012

Of Praying, Eating Well, and Losing Weight

Good Friday, everyone! TGIF! Yes, Thank God, It's Friday!I know, all of us are looking forward to a wonderful weekend, as usual. Well, my dear folks and friends, I wish you all the best as we prepare ourselves for His coming! You know what I'm talking about. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, I'm doing well. Our Christmas tree, in our family room, is now simply decorated. Not much glitter, though, but that's okay with me. What's important is our own personal preparation to receive Jesus in our hearts again, especially if we've drifted away from the rest of His flock. Thank you, good and gracious God, for my failth. And, thank you, Jesus!

BTW, as I'm writing this blog post, I'm listening to church/worship songs using videos uploaded by certain Salesiankids, et al. Thank you for this playlist of songs. I know some of them by heart because they're sung during Mass. They're great listening. I love the selections. Again, thank you, Salesiankids, et al. And, thank you, Youtube. May God bless us always!

A few minutes ago, I just finished praying the holy rosary along with one of the videos (on praying the rosary) on YouTube. I tried meditating on the Sorrowful Mysteries, which are said on Tuesdays and Fridays throughout the year, and every day from Ash Wednesday until Easter. They are: 1. The Agony  in the Garden   (for true contrition) 2. Scourging at the Pillar (for the virtue of purity) 3. Crowning with Thorns (for moral courage) 4. Carrying of the Cross (for the virtue of patience) and 5. The Crucifixion (for final perseverance).

Well, now, let me share with you what I've learned and read lately. Disclaimer: This is for informational purposes only! It's about this AARP (Association of American Retired Persons)'s New American Diet by John Whyte, M.D. Although this applies to retired persons, over fifty, especially those sedentary in our midst, I believe it can also be applied to people less than fifty who have problems losing weight and/or with health issues like cancer, diabetes, chronic pain, etc.)

Food and losing weight? Sounds ironic, isn't it? There's a correlation or connection between the two with regards to improving our health and well-being. As we all know, we love to eat and we have this problem of obesity and overweight in the US, and even elsewhere around the globe, I believe. Evidently, we see it in schools, at homes, on the streets, in social gatherings, and even on TV shows, too. I, myself, am sort of affected or concerned because as I've been saying most of the time I love food and love to eat out, so often. I know, I have to make adjustments and some changes as to my eating habits. That's why I have to try to educate myself, empower myself and take control of my health and life if I wanted or wished to live better and longer. Previous days in my previous blog post, I mentioned about a documentary film Food Matters that I've watched. And, it's a challenge for me to try to eat good, healthy, nutritious food to keep me going and to make a difference still in the world. I know I can do it if I put my mind to it. I know you, guys, who have some concerns about your health can also do it, I believe. Let's try to eat well and live better, longer.

Without further ado, here are the guidelines or salient points about this New American Diet authored by Dr. Whyte for AARP: 1) Drink water. 2) Eat breakfast every day. 3) Sleep at least 7 hours a night. 4) Eat smaller meals, more often. 5) Eat fish two or three times weekly (and red meat at most, once). 6) Spend at least 30 minutes on a meal. 7) Drink two cups of caffeinated coffee daily. 8) Bring two small snacks---a piece of fruitt, a cup of low-fat dairy---to work every day (if you're still working). 9) Eat a small bit of dark chocolate daily. 10) Count steps---at least 10,000 per day. 11) Incorporate heart-healthy nuts and olive oil into your meals. 12) Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits, especially berries. 13) Weigh yourself once a week. 14) Eat at a table, with your food on a small plate.

Furthermore, here are suggestions as to what to eat and what to avoid, as much as possible:
EAT THESE                   INSTEAD OF THESE
Figs                                 Cookies 
Brown rice                      White rice
Oil and vinegar                Prepared salad dressing
Sweet potatoes               White potatoes
Whole wheat bread         White bread
Unbuttered popcorn        Potato chips
Whole wheat pretzels      Regular pretzels
Grilled/roasted chicken    Fried chicken
Piece of dark chocolate   Milk-chocolate candy bar
Handful of blueberries      Cereal bar
Whole wheat pasta          White pasta
High-fiber cereal              Sugary cereal
Broiled salmon/fish           Fish sticks
Steel-cut oats                   Instant oatmeal
Nuts or seeds                   Chips or crackers
Greek yogurt                    Ice cream
Olive oil                            Butter

To recap, Dr. Whyte encourages us to Have breakfast every day, Drink more water, Get fishy, Embrace whole grains, Fill up on fruits and veggies, Include low-fat dairy foods, Be wary of "diet" foods, Don't eat out for two weeks, Inspect food labels, Snack often, and Chew gum.

The above information was culled from AARP Magazine, December 2012/January 2013 of which I'm a subscriber and member.

Before I sign off, I'd like to thank my sister Betty and Bro-in-law Dennis for that package containing their produce: persimmons and citrus fruits. I love them, especially the persimmons. Thank you guys for your love and thoughtfulness. May God bless you and your family!

Well, this is all for now. Until next time around, my dear folks and friends. (I have to get ready to take a walk outside.) Take care and have a blessed day and a wonderful weekend, everyone! As always, May God bless us all!-chris a. quilpa, 14December2012.






No comments:

Post a Comment