Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Ilokano Poem "Arab Spring" on My FB Page and The Philippine's People Power

Happy bright and sunny but cool Saturday, everyone! Thanks to God that we're alive and well! Thank you, Jesus!

Reminder to all of us here in the U.S. of A. to set or adjust our clock (and our timepiece or watches) to one hour forward before midnight tonight for the so-called Daylight Savings Time. Thank you.

 Just this "early" Saturday morning, while still in bed, but already awake and anxious, I got interested listening  to Travel with Rick Steves on NPR (National Public Radio). Mr. Steves, the host of the show, has two guests---one from Morocco and the other from Alexandria, Egypt. Their topic was about Arab Spring, a series of anti-government protests (or sweeping "revolution" going on) in the Middle East and North Africa since last year when Tunisia ousted their leader. Then, it was followed by Egypt and Libya, and Yemen where their leaders, too, were overthrown.

As I continued listening to Rick Steves and his guests, I was anticipating for the three to mention what's going in Syria these days in which I heard recently of former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan, now a UN envoy, visiting the place. I was disappointed, but nevertheless enlightened about the discussion.

Then I rose up from bed because I had an inclination to use the rest room in our bedroom. As usual, I always bring with me something to read and/or write. While using the rest room, I found myself scribbling some "Ilokano" words. And from there, I have written this Ilokano poem entitled "Arab Spring" (which I transcribed it to my Facebook Notes and eventually shared it to my FB friends).

I'm very much aware of this People Power in the Philippines, that, to me, has influenced other countries like the ones in the Middle East to protest, to have a wave or a series of unrest among the disgruntled people.

Yay, the world is changing rapidly at a fast pace, thanks to the Internet. Change is inevitable in a volatile world such as ours. And we have to embrace it, whether we like it or not.

Thanks to YouTube and the video uploaders; thanks to Google and Blogger, and to Wikipedia for all that they do. Thanks also to Facebook, and other social media that help promote peace and justice, and equality for all! Thanks to God and to Jesus Christ!

Once again, folks, don't forget to spring forward one hour of your clock or time piece before midnight tonight.

Well, this is all for now, my friends. Thanks for your time with me. Until next time around. Take care. And have a nice weekend, everyone!-chris a. quilpa, 10March2012

No comments:

Post a Comment