Search This Blog

Monday, October 8, 2012

Loafing at McRestaurant

Happy cool but rainy Monday, everyone! How's the weather in your area? Hope and pray you're doing fine, as always. Me? I'm doing well; thank you, gracious God.

This morning, while using the restroom in our bedroom, as has been routine or customary? for me, I did pray the Joyful Mysteries of the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, our Heavenly Mother and Mother of our Lord, Jesus Christ, our Savior! What a joyful feeling we have, recalling the conception and birth of our Redeemer and Savior, Jesus Christ! Thank you, good and gracious God! And, thank you, Jesus, for being an inspiration in life!

Here we are in a McRestaurant enjoying our "brunch" with the rest of diners. I thank God for the opportunity and the good feeling we have had today. As I was loafing, I did try to read a couple of Catholic blogs (because I brought with me my laptop, my first time to use it in a restaurant such as McRestaurant, which, to me, has been keeping pace with the business of luring, attracting customers, by having free WiFi, like other chain restaurants in our area). Actually, some of the interesting articles I've just read, I did share them to my Facebook friends and hopefully our friends around have had the time to read them and learned something out of them.

Here at McRestaurant (where I started writing this blog post, while reading a news-article in one of the local community's newspapers), I happened to come across a young adult man, an employee here. His name is Sam. In the course of our conversation, I came to know a snippet of his life story-- -that he's originally from North Carolina; has one older sister, 30 years old, with a child (she's a single Mom), and an older brother who passed away already; he said his Dad passed away, too; his Mom kicked them out of the house, and now he and his sister live in an apartment in Hampton Roads area.

My dear folks and friends, it's always a blessing to meet someone like this young man I mentioned above who has potentials to become better in life. He said he didn't finish his regular high school education but got his GED eventually. As a parent and former classroom teacher, I can't help but try to share with him a little bit of my life story. I noticed he was an active listener. He said he's hoping to get another job to increase or boost his income. I asked him what are his plans in life, what does he like or love to do, and if he was given a choice between working there at the restaurant and going to school or college to pursue higher education, what would he choose? When I mentioned to him about joining the military, he said he did pass the ASVAB test but he has problems with his ankle and foot.  He said he likes music and wants to go to a community college. Afterwards, he excused himself because he has to return to work. I thanked him for his time and encouraged him to keep up the good work and to never cease hoping and working on his plan to obtain a higher education that will eventually translate to a better, high paying job.

At some point while I was blogging, I felt the urge to use the restroom to take a leak. I happen to call the attention of a gentleman, dressed casually, and who was engaged with his laptop, and occupying the whole rectangular table that sits for four people, by the corner in the restaurant. I asked him a (big) favor if he could keep an eye on my stuff. He agreed, without hesitation and said, "No problem, man" with a smile and a right thumb up.

After emptying my bladder, I thanked Mike, that's his name. He said he's from Chesapeake. And then we continued talking and getting to know one another. I found out that he was looking for a job via the internet, having been out of work for six months. He said he has been into Sales and Financing business before. As we continued with our friendly chat, we've talked about this and that---the economy, immigration issues, Christopher Columbus (He enlightened me about Columbus, saying that it was in 1930? during the administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt that started this Columbus Day for all Italians. I was perplexed and just uttered in disbelief, "really?"). We also talked about politics, and political ads dominating the airwaves and TV Land. (Yes, we've been bombarded or inundated by political advertisements that try to distract or confuse us. I can't believe both political parties have been spending millions and millions of these ads that have become destructive and nasty! I know, they're becoming boring, irritating and insulting. I'm aware that political candidates do all they can to get elected or reelected.) Understandably, from the tone of his discourse, he's leaning towards the Democrat Party. He said he may reelect the current president. I, on the other hand, mentioned him that, as of this day, I'm one of those undecided voters. Even if I've watched the two parties' conventions and the first Presidential debate five days? ago, I told him that I haven't made up my mind yet.

Lunchtime came. More people came in to the restaurant. Others, especially those new arrivals, first went to use the restrooms before falling in line next to available cashier to order their meal. Mike and I bid each other goodbye when it was time to leave the restaurant. I thanked him, too, for having known and talked to him.

Well, my dear folks and friends, this is all for now, as far as my loafing in McRestaurant is concerned. Until next time around. Take care and have a nice day, everyone! (Yay, it's cold and raining over here in Hampton Roads! The ground is wet! Time to bring out our jackets and coats, and umbrellas, man! What a drastic weather change! It's undoubtedly Fall now! I'm not complaining. In fact, it's the season, you know..."when Autumn leaves start to fall..."

As always, I pray, "may God bless us all!" Thank you, God, for all your goodness and love. And, thank you, Jesus, for being an inspiration to me. Mother Mary, pray for us, sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen. God bless my family, folks, and friends! And, God bless America and the world!-chris a. quilpa, 08Oct2012

No comments:

Post a Comment