Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tuesday Thoughts

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

Last night, I went to bed late. I don't know about you, dear folks and friends, but there are times that I don't feel like sleeping early. Especially if I'm doing something that's so interesting that I couldn't refuse but to finish it. I'm talking about watching a movie on YouTube. What's so interesting about this movie that robbed me of my sleep? Well, it was kinda dark, surprisingly historical, but brutal and fatal. At first it didn't seem to be gory but it was. In the end, though, the protagonists survived the ordeal.

The film, though it claims to be fictitious, has something to do with college fraternities. Prior to watching the movie, I have found out earlier, or early evening last night, about this "ragging" (the psychological and physical torture inflicted by senior students to new students or "pledges" in school), while I came across a video about it on YouTube. That was my first time to come to know the term, which is similar to bullying or hazing in schools or colleges. Later on, I learned that it was employed by the military to build unit or team cohesiveness. Somehow, after World War I, these military personnel who survived, returned home from war, and eventually went on to college to further their education, were the ones who introduced this activity in school/colleges/universities they attended. Little did I know then that ragging was rampant in countries like Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh (from Wikipedia). (I ended up reading a report about this topic by a certain Indian organization which advocates the ban on ragging in colleges and universities.)

Anyway, I was wondering if ever there's benefit/s derived from ragging. What good is there about ragging? If there's nothing beneficial about this activity, then why does society condone its practice? Just wondering, though.

Well, this is one interesting thing about the Internet, specifically YouTube, which I'm becoming an aficionado, so to speak. You'll never know what you'll find out while using the Internet. That's why I've mentioned before that the power of the Internet continues to amaze me, while I continue to learn things. (Thanks YouTube, Google, Blogger, Wikipedia, and Facebook.) And, at times, you'll never know who or what to believe from the ones you've read or viewed or watched. At times, confusion is the word that comes to mind, in stead of enlightenment. That's why I have to be cautious. I have to try to weigh things before I make decisions or judgement. That'w where my Faith comes into play. I try to pray to our Almighty God for guidance and enlightenment that what I've said or done is the right thing and not the other way around. Although I'm aware that I'm a sinner, like everybody else, I try to stay the course to a faithful life, one that keeps on trying to do good and to do His will. Now, you ask me, how do you know if you're doing God's will? That's between me and our Almighty Father, you know. He knows that I've been trying to follow His commandments, be an honorable and humble man, and law-abiding citizen.

This morning, I prayed my rosary (contemplating on the Sorrowful Mysteries) while in bed. Mother Mary, pray for us, your children! Then, I did use the restroom (doing routine, elimination of waste, that is!). Afterwards, I'm herewith writing this blog post while still in our bedroom. Outside, it's sunny and bright, with clear, blue skies. No, I don't see any Canadian geese on the school's playground this moment. They must be somewhere else this time. I see cars parked on the school's premises. The atmosphere is kinda calm, quiet and peaceful! Thank you, good and gracious God, for such a beautiful, nice and wonderful Fall weather! Thank you, Jesus!

This is all for now. Until next time around, my dear folks and friends. Take care and Have a terrific, turbulent-free Tuesday, everyone! As always, I pray, "May God bless us all!"-chris a. quilpa, 16Oct2012

No comments:

Post a Comment