Search This Blog

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Music on a Sunny Saturday Morn

Good Saturday, everyone!

Did you sleep well last night? Mind you, my dear folks and friends, I always remember this statement of Rev. Fr. Jarek's warm and friendly introduction each time he starts Sunday Mass at our parish, St. Paul's Catholic Church in downtown Portsmouth, when he was still our parochial vicar. He's currently the pastor at St. Jude's in southwestern part of Virginia.

I repeat, did you sleep well last night? Hope so. Me? I believe I did. Thank God, we're alive and well...Btw, I've made it a point or set my mind to sleep before the clock strikes twelve each night. But, course, with exceptions depending on a circumstance or situation that requires me to sleep late. As I've said, I try to sleep early at night before midnight. I know, it's a matter of personal discipline and how to stick to such routine, for the sake of healthy living and longevity of life here on Earth.

As I'm writing this blog post, and was eating a cup of oatmeal (with organic milk) handed to me by my wife Freny this morning before ten, I've been listening to Andre Rieu's Romantic Moments music on another laptop. (I don't know why I was doing this when, in fact, I can listen to it on this IBM's lenovo T60 laptop (from nephew Tony in California) that I'm using right now while blogging!) But a short while ago, while briefly visiting Facebook, and reading tweets, and blogs from a couple of Catholic bloggers that I follow on a regular basis, I listened to Country Crows, a one-dollar new CD that I've uploaded before in the same laptop where Andre Rieu's music is playing.

Now, as the title of this blog post suggests, I'm talking about Music. You know, my dear folks and friends, each of us has his/her own favorite or type of music that we keep listening to. Just like myself, for example, I've listened to music of different genres. I like jazz, R & B, ballads (like those songs by Nora Aunor), pop, country, classical, gospel or religious. But not rap and heavy metal. That's my choice, for having the freedom to choose. No, I don't have in mind or no intention to discriminate or hate. I just like and dislike the ones I've just mentioned above. That's all.

It's true music is music. But there is also music that is noisy and, hence, irritates, and makes you uncomfortable. There's music that soothes or relieves. There's music that entertains and moves you, makes you feel alive, perked up, upbeat.

I believe, our choice of something, like music, is influenced by our moods and our biological age. Different age group has different likes and dislikes, especially when it comes to music. As I entered into my early 60s, I tend to listen more to old songs/music, the ones that I used to listen when I was younger. Please don't get me wrong, people. I love listening to new music also, provided they're appealing (not irritating) to my ears. I like techno-electronic, dance-able music, too. In fact, when I was reading one of the tweets this morning, I was also listening to this Disneyland's concert Tomorowland TV Live by TomorrowlandChannel featuring live performances by artists-musician DJs like Tiesto, of Netherlands, Afrojack, Carl Cox, Dimitri Vegas, Fedde Legrand, Loco Dice, Quintino, Steve Aoki, etc. Entertaining, fantastic, lively, and magical!

Music---a part of our culture that's instrumental in bringing people together. Sound and silence, melody and magic, sonata and symphony, composed and improvised---these are components that make music unique and universal. It's been said that music is the language of the soul, one that enhances life and can make death dignified, sacred and meaningful. Since time immemorial, music has played a vital part of our life. Our cries when we were babies or just born, and even when we're adults and beyond, these are music to our ears. they denote our aspirations, desires, dreams, needs, longings. Our playing of anything, from pots and pans, to drums and other known musical instruments, recorded long playing vinyl albums, cassette tapes, CDs, and even just our mouth, nose or hands, or feet, is indicative that, as human beings, we're intrinsically musical and fun-loving people.

So, my dear folks and friends, what's your favorite kind/type of music? Do you have a specific time of day/night to listen to it? Does music give meaning and substance to your life? What do you think of music produced in the early 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and the 21st century.

Well, this is all I have to say at this time. (My wife Freny just came in to our room and gave me a plate of food for lunch. With a cup of my summer indulgence---watermelon! Yay, yummy! Thanks, Mama.) Thanks, everyone, for visiting my blog. Until next time around. Take care and have a wonderful weekend, everyone! As always, I pray, "May God bless US and keep US safe from harm always!"-chris a. quilpa, 27 July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment