Search This Blog

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Lazy Saturday; Faithful Sunday

A wonderful weekend to you all! Good Sunday, everyone!

I went strolling around the neighborhood Friday when the sun was up. I took a number of photos but didn't bother sharing them to our Facebook friends nor embedding them in my blog post. (I wasn't in the mood of blogging that day and yesterday, a lazy Saturday I would say.) But I imported/uploaded those photos on my laptop, ready to be used in case I needed them. Anyway, that was my Friday and partly my Saturday.

Yes, folks and friends, yesterday was such a lazy Saturday, for me. (I didn't feel like going outside at all. Nevertheless, I kept myself busy doing something productive---putting printed photos, from Walgreen's, into a photo album.) Know why? The weather has been cold and rainy. It continued today, a faithful, religious Sunday, that is. Undoubtedly, the ground is saturated and soggy wet, so to speak. But now, as I've started to blog, it has stopped raining. That's good. Thank God.

This morning, when we left the house for church at 10:30 a.m., it was raining. This is what we've agreed this morning: that we'd just attend Mass at Resurrection instead of St. Paul's Catholic Church, our parish. The reason? We were so sluggish, this morning, to get ready to church. Has it something to do with the weather? Probably. We're supposed to be there at St. Paul's before 9:30 a.m. That's Mass time there. At Resurrection, it's 11:15. Had we pursued in going to St. Paul's, we'd definitely be late, without a doubt, especially with this rainy weather condition that we have in Hampton Roads. Btw, commuting or driving from our house, it takes at least 15-20 minutes to drive to and from St. Paul's.

Fyi, Church of Resurrection is one of four clustered parishes of Portsmouth & Chesapeake. St. Paul's Catholic Church, Church of Holy Angels, all in Portsmouth, and St. Mary's Catholic Church in Chesapeake are the other churches in cluster. All four clustered parishes are under the administration of Rev. Fathers David and Gino, pastor and parochial vicar, respectively. Schedule of Sunday Masses in these parishes is as follows: 8:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. at St. Paul's Catholic Church in downtown Portsmouth; 9:00 a.m. at St. Mary's in Chesapeake; 11:00 a.m. at Holy Angels in Cradock, Portsmouth; and 11:15 at Resurrection. Two of the clustered parishes have Saturday Mass: St. Paul's at 4:00 p.m.; Resurrection at 5:30 p.m. There are weekday Daily Masses, too. (I've got to find out the church bulletin and get the info. Or, if you're interested, visit this website www.clusterparishes.com.)

Btw, Church of Resurrection was our first church that we've attended Sunday Masses and other church activities when we arrived in The Old Dominion for the very first time in almost two decades now. Coming from California, due to military transfer, we got settled initially in Portsmouth. At Resurrection, my wife Freny and I eventually volunteered to be members of the church choir, in addition to my being a volunteer lector (a Scripture reader). At that time, the church was under one pastor, not a part of cluster parishes. But times have changed. Due to priest shortage here in the USA, there's a need to form cluster parishes. Hence, we have one in Hampton Roads.

In today's liturgical service at Resurrection, we have had a visiting priest who celebrated the Mass with us. He spoke of St. Joseph, Mother Mary, and Baby Jesus, forming the Holy Family, which is the theme of today's Gospel (from St. Matthew) and other Scriptural readings.

After Mass, we decided to go Mexican for lunch. We, therefore, went to Taco Bell in Chesapeake. One of our friends' children, who's my son Andrew's classmate back in elementary grades, joined us for lunch. But, of course, I took some photos while having burritos and tacos.

Now, here are the pictures...Enjoy!

























   Photos (c) 2013 by Chris A. Quilpa

For dinner, Freny and I went to Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant where we bought Barbacoa and Steak and Chicken burritos to go. Brian, Andrew's friend, joined us for dinner. Thank God for all the blessings we have...

Well, that's all for now, my dear folks and friends. Take care and have a peaceful, wonderful day. May God bless US always!-chris a. quilpa, 12.29.2013

No comments:

Post a Comment