Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2012

On Parenting

Question to all of us, especially for parents. When does parenting stop? Or, is it endless? Does it start the moment you've married the mother of your child/ren to the moment your faculties falter you?

Why did I bring this subject up, you ask? Well, my dear folks and friends, it's paradoxical that we love to interfere with the lives, and even affairs, of close members of our families and others' lives, at times, to the point that we get involved and eventually become influential to them. Nothing wrong with that, huh?

We, parents, try to do our best to love and care for our children. We're so protective of them. We want the best for them. In short, we want them to be successful in life. Now, you ask, what is your definition of success? Do you equate it with material things? What does success have to do with parenting? Is there a connection between the two? Of course, there is. Ask those experts. They tell you. Anyway, my ramblings can go on and on...

When does parenting stop? Honestly, as I see it and based on my observation of other parents, I tend to believe that it doesn't end, especially if the relationships are mutually exclusive. It will only end when you're out of breath, I guess.

Now, this morning, my daughter Tintin and I walked around the neighborhood, strolling while enjoying the clear, blue, sunny skies. As we were brisk-walking, from one village to another, we actively shared our thoughts about this and that, talked about her recent two-day in-service job training at UVa and other stuff in connection with her work, as a college adviser, in one of the high schools in the Commonwealth. Our supposedly half-an-hour stroll became almost an hour. (My left hip was bothering me at that time but I kept going, tried to keep pace with her.) Along the way, we met Gladys, one of two women whom I've become so acquainted already while strolling around the neighborhood almost regularly. I introduced Tintin to her and vice versa. I asked about her friend Josefa. She said, "she has a doctor's appointment." Hopefully she's doing fine. I was proud to tell her that Tintin got a job that's connected with Americorp program, like her brother Andrew, my son.

Tintin and I arrived home about 10:30. That means that we still have thirty minutes to catch up with that breakfast promo of this popular chain restaurant worldwide. So, we hurried up. Immediately after changing clothes, she and I found our way to the nearest McDonald's. Tintin did the driving. We had each two egg-sausage McMuffin sandwiches and free two cups of coffee. Almost noontime when we left the place for a road trip to the Peninsula. Well, I just wanted Tintin to experience driving through a bridge-tunnel the fact that she's "polishing" her driving.

As expected, Tintin's driving went well. We had the opportunity to drop by at her Catholic high school alma mater, met and huggged her former high school teachers including her former assistant principal, now currently the principal there. BTW, it's been almost six years that we haven't been there at that private Catholic high school where Tintin and her brother, Andrew, both graduated in 2008 and 2006, respectively.

While "touring" Tintin's former high school, my wife Freny called me from her school-work. (On school days, or weekdays, she usually calls me before or after 12 p.m. which I don't mind at all.) I told her that Tintin and I were at PC. She said, "say Hi to the kids' former teachers will you, 'Pang?" "No problem," I answered.

Leaving the school, Tintin and I felt good. Going home from the Peninsula, she did continue her driving so she can get used to it. Gladly and thankfully, we didn't encounter traffic on the Interstate highway. In 20-25 minutes, we're back home. Safe and sound. Thank you, God. Thank you, Jesus!

I asked Tintin how did her driving go? She said she feels comfortable. She asked me my honest opinion about her driving so far. I told her it was good. She just needs a little polishing in changing lanes, particularly.

Well, my dear folks and friends, this is all for now. I do hope I made sense in titling this post on parenting. And, one thing more, the videos used here are not mine. They're from YouTube. No copyright infringement intended. I thank YouTube, as always, and the uploaders of the videos above. Thanks to Google and Blogger, and Facebook as well. Thank you, too, folks and friends, and accidental readers of my blog posts who are from different countries. As I keep on saying, I don't mind sharing with you my stories and simple imaginings. If you learned something, or not, from my posts, I thank you just the same.

Until next time around. Take care and have a wonderful Thursday, everyone! As always, I pray "May God bless us all!"-chris a. quilpa, 27September2012

No comments:

Post a Comment